Novel Approach to Synthesis of Monodisperse Polymeric Microspheres: Heterophase Polymerization of Styrene and Methyl Methacrylate in Presence of Water-Insoluble Functional PDMSs
- 193 Downloads
Water-insoluble polydimethylsiloxanes (PDMSs) with functional organic substituents at the silicon atom are promising surface-active substances for the synthesis of monodisperse polymeric microspheres. In this regard a number of PDMS oligomers bearing different functional chain ends (amino, carboxylic and epoxy groups) were synthesized by conventional approaches. Solubility of PDMS in both the monomers (styrene (St) or methyl methacrylate (MMA)) and water as well as their surface-active properties at the water-toluene interface were investigated. Heterophase polymerization of St and MMA was carried out in the presence of functional PMDS and the resulting suspensions of polymeric microspheres were characterized using scanning electron microscopy (SEM). It was shown that the polymeric suspensions obtained have a very narrow particle size distribution and high stability in electrolyte solutions. The mechanism of the interfacial layer formation which explains the observed results is proposed.
KeywordsPolystyrene Polymethyl methacrylate Radical polymerization Functional polydimethylsiloxane Surface-active substances Monodisperse functional latexes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pellach M, Margel S (2014) Photochem and Photobiol 90:952–956Google Scholar
- 3.Kuehne AJC, Gather MC, Sprakel J (2012) Nat Commun, doi: 10.1038/ncomms2085
- 9.Omi S, Matsuda A, Imamura K, Naga M, Ma G-H (1999) A: Physiochemical Eng Asp 153:373–381Google Scholar
- 15.Yanul’ Yu B (1992) Synthesis of functional polymeric suspensions in the presence of oligomeric peroxyesters. PhD thesis , MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 16.Gritskova IA, Zhdanov AA, Chirikova OV, Schegolikhina OI (1994) Dokl Akad Nauk (Russ Ed) 334:57–59Google Scholar
- 17.Holmberg K, Jönsson B, Kronberg B, Lindman B (2003) Surfactants and polymers in aqueous solution, 2nd edn. Wiley , New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 18.Adamson AW, Gast AP (1997) Physical chemistry of surfaces. Wiley interscience publication. New York, p. 808Google Scholar
- 19.Kopylov VM, Kovjazin VA, Ivanov VV, Markuze I Yu (2007) Organosilicon carboxylates of rare-earth elements as thermal stabilizers of polydiorganosiloxane liquids and a method for preparation thereof. Pat Russian Federation No. 2291877Google Scholar
- 21.Khomikovskii PM (1958) Rus Chem Rev (Russ Ed) 27:1025–1055Google Scholar