Comparison of Effectiveness of Various Approaches to Direct Synthesis of Alkoxysilanes
- 195 Downloads
The aim of the current study was to compare different approaches to the direct synthesis of alkoxysilanes, which were previously discussed in the literature, to obtain high selectivity for trimethoxysilane and satisfying silicon conversion. The possibility of obtaining alkoxysilanes by the reaction of elemental silicon with several organic precursors (first of all, alcohols) was investigated. Trialkoxysilanes and tetraalkoxysilanes were the main products of the reaction. They were identified by means of elemental analysis, NMR- and IR spectroscopies, and chemical analysis. Primary kinetic regularities were investigated as well. The direct process was carried out in 4 different reactor types: flask-like liquid-phase; tube-like gas/solid-phase; flask-like gas/solid-phase with strong UV irradiation, and an autoclave. As a result of optimization there were obtained both HSi(OAlk)3 and Si(OAlk)4 with very high selectivity (> 90 %). The data are very promising in terms of development of new chlorine-free alkoxysilanes production techniques.
KeywordsDirect synthesis Alkoxysilanes Contact mass Metallic silicon Alcohols
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hananashvili LM, Andrianov AK (1983) Technology for organoelement monomers and polymers. Himiya, MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 2.Voorhoeve RJH (1967) Organohalosilanes: precursors to Silicone. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 8.Pat. US 2007060764 A1 (2007) Process for the direct synthesis of trialkoxysilaneGoogle Scholar
- 9.Pat. US 2002010354 A1 (2001) Freshly precipitated CuO as catalyst for the trialkoxysilane synthesisGoogle Scholar
- 10.Knyazev SP, Kirilin AD, Chernyshev EA, Storojenko PA (2009) Investigation of the reaction of the direct synthesis of alkoxysilanes and organoalkoxysilanes from silicon, alcohols and ethers by quantum chemistry methods. Fine Chemical Technology (Vestnik MITHT)4:75–82Google Scholar