Effects of TiC on the microstructure and formation of acicular ferrite in ferritic stainless steel
- 34 Downloads
k]The formation mechanism of acicular ferrite and its microstructural characteristics in 430 ferrite stainless steel with TiC additions were studied by theory and experiment. Using an “edge-to-edge matching” model, a 5.25 mismatch between TiC (FCC structure) and fer-ritic stainless steel (BCC structure) was identified, which met the mismatch requirement for the heterogeneous nucleation of 430 ferritic stainless steel. TiC was found to be an effective nucleation site for the formation of acicular ferrite in a smelting experiment, as analyzed by metallographic examination, Image-Pro Plus 6.0 analysis software, and SEM-EDS. Furthermore, small inclusions in the size of 2–4 μm increased the probability of acicular ferrite nucleation, and the secondary acicular ferrite would grow sympathetically from the initial acicular ferrite to produce multi-dimensional acicular ferrites. Moreover, the addition of TiC can increase the average microstrain and dislocation density of 430 ferrite stainless steel, as calculated by Williamson-Hall (WH) method, which could play some role in strengthening the dislocation.
Keywordsacicular ferrite dislocation density stainless steel TiC grain refiner oxide metallurgy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51674071).
- S. Ogibayashi, Advances in technology of oxide metallurgy, Nippon Steel Tech. Rep., 61(1994), p. 70.Google Scholar
- X.M. Li, S.P. Zheng, Q. Zheng, and L.X. Zhu, Oxide metallurgy, Shanghai Met., 27(2005), No. 5, p. 55.Google Scholar
- J. Takamura and S. Mizoguchi, Roles of oxides in steels performance metallurgy of oxides in steel, [in] Proceedings of the 6th International Iron and Steel Congress, Nagoya, 1990, p. 591.Google Scholar
- L.Y. Xu, Study on Inclusion Characteristics and Welding Properties of Magnesium Deoxidized Steel with Large Heat Energy [Dissertations], Central South University, Changsha, 2014, p. 15.Google Scholar
- Y. Li, Z.H. Jiang, H.B. Li, and G.W. Fan, Inclusions in Steel-making Process, Science Press, Beijing, 2016, p. 291.Google Scholar
- J.S. Byun, J.H. Shim, Y.W. Cho, and D.N. Lee, Non-metallic inclusion and intragranular nucleation of ferrite in Ti-killed C-Mn steel, Acta Mater., 51(2003), p. 1594.Google Scholar
- D.Q. Zhang, Y. Lei, and Z.Y. Liu, Acicular ferrite in weld metal of microalloy steel, J. Univ. Petrol. China, 27(2016), No. 4, p. 144.Google Scholar
- G.D. Zhang, Behavior of Acicular Ferrite in Weld Metal and its Simulation [Dissertations], Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 2002, p. 112.Google Scholar
- D. Zhang, H. Terasaki, and Y.I. Komizo, In situ observation of the formation of intragranular acicular ferrite at non-metallic inclusions in C-Mn steel, Acta Mater., 58(2010), p. 1378.Google Scholar
- H. Liu, Effect of Grain Refiner on Microstructure of 430L Ferritic Stainless Steel [Dissertations], Northeastern University, Shenyang, 2014, p. 25.Google Scholar
- X.L. Wan, G.Q. Li, and K.M. Wu, Microstructure characteristics and formation mechanism of acicular ferrite in high-strength low-alloy steels, J. Iron Steel Res., 28(2016), p. 2.Google Scholar
- S.S. Na and W. Tian, On oxalic acid corrosion test for stainless steel, Phys. Testing Chem. Anal. Part A, 37(2001), No. 11, p. 500.Google Scholar
- Y.X. Hu, W. Cai, and Y.H. Rong, Fundamentals of Materials Science, Shanghai Jiaotong University Press, Shanghai, 2012, p. 181.Google Scholar
- D.Q. Zhang, Study on the Formation Mechanism of Intra-granular Ferrite in Microalloyed Steel Weld Metal [Dissertations], Tianjin University, Tianjin, 2000, p. 15.Google Scholar
- N. Guo, A Study on Microstructural Characterization and Mechanical Properties of Cold Drawing Pearlitic Steel Wires for Bridge Cable [Dissertations], Chongqing University, Chongqing, 2012, p. 25.Google Scholar
- J.L. Lee, Evaluation of the nucleation potential of intragranu-lar acicular ferrite in steel weldments, Acta Metal. Mater., (42) 2012, No. 10, p. 3297.Google Scholar