Lithium-ion full cell with high energy density using nickel-rich LiNi0.8Co0.1Mn0.1O2 cathode and SiO−C composite anode
- 8 Downloads
A high-energy-density Li-ion battery with excellent rate capability and long cycle life was fabricated with a Ni-rich layered Li- Ni0.8Mn0.1Co0.1O2 cathode and SiO−C composite anode. The Ni0.8Mn0.1Co0.1O2 and SiO−C exhibited excellent electrochemical performance in both half and full cells. Specifically, when integrated into a full cell configuration, a high energy density (280 Wh·kg−1) with excellent rate capability and long cycle life was attained. At 0.5C, the full cell retained 80% of its initial capacity after 200 charge/discharge cycles, and 60% after 600 cycles, indicating robust structural tolerance for the repeated insertion/extraction of Li+ ions. The rate performance showed that, at high rate of 1C and 2C, 96.8% and 93% of the initial capacity were retained, respectively. The results demonstrate strong potential for the development of high energy density Li-ion batteries for practical applications.
Keywordshigh energy density full cell rate performance high capacity cathode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was financially supported by National R&D Program of China (No. 2016YFB0100301).
- Z. Yang, J. Zhang, M.C.W. Kintner–Meyer, X. Lu, D. Choi, J.P. Lemmon, and J. Liu, Electrochemical energy storage for green grid, Chem. Rev. 111(2011), No. 5, p. 3577.Google Scholar
- J.C. Zheng, B.Y. Yang, X.W. Wang, B. Zhang, H. Tong, W.J. Yu, and J.F. Zhang, Comparative investigation of Na2FeP2O7 sodium insertion material synthesized by using different sodium sources, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 6(2018), No. 4, p. 4966.Google Scholar
- P.B. Wang, M.Z. Luo, J.C. Zheng, Z.J. He, H. Tong, and W.J. Yu, Comparative investigation of 0.5Li2MnO3.0.5LiNi0.5Co0.2Mn0.3O2 cathode materials synthesized by using different lithium sources, Front. Chem. 6(2018), p. 1.Google Scholar
- F. Schipper, M. Dixit, D. Kovacheva, M. Talianker, O. Haik, J. Grinblat, E.M. Erickson, C. Ghanty, D.T. Major, B. Markovsky, and D. Aurbach, Stabilizing nickel–rich layered cathode materials by a high–charge cation doping strategy: Zirconium–doped LiNi0.6Co0.2Mn0.2O2, J. Mater. Chem. A, 4(2016), No. 41, p. 16073.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- J. Yang and Y.Y. Xia, Enhancement on cycling stability of the layered Ni–rich oxide cathode by in–situ fabricating nano–thickness cation–mixing layers, J. Electrochem. Soc., 163(2016), No. 13, p. A2665.Google Scholar
- H.F. Yang, Y. Yan, Y. Liu, F.Q. Zhang, R.Y. Zhang, Y. Meng, M. Li, S.H. Xie, B. Tu, and D.Y. Zhao, A simple melt impregnation method to synthesize ordered mesoporous carbon and carbon nanofiber bundles with graphitized structure from pitches, J. Phys. Chem. B, 108(2004), No. 45, p. 17320.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- C.M. Park, W. Choi, Y. Hwa, J.H. Kim, G. Jeong, and H.J. Sohn, Characterizations and electrochemical behaviors of disproportionated SiO and its composite for rechargeable Li–ion batteries, J. Mater. Chem. 20(2010), No. 23, p. 4854.Google Scholar
- J.P. Maranchi, A.F. Hepp, A.G. Evans, N.T. Nuhfer, and P.N. Kumta, Interfacial properties of the a Si/Cu: active–inactive thin–film anode system for lithiumion batteries, J. Electrochem. Soc., 153(2006), No. 6, p. A1246.Google Scholar
- S.E. Trask, K.Z. Pupek, J.A. Gilbert, M. Klett, B.J. Polzin, A.N. Jansen, and D.P. Abraham, Performance of full cells containing carbonate–based LiFSI electrolytes and silicon–graphite negative electrodes, J. Electrochem. Soc. 163(2016), No. 3, p. A345.Google Scholar
- P.F. Zhou, H.J. Meng, Z. Zhang, C.C. Chen, Y.Y. Lu, J. Cao, F.Y. Cheng, and J. Chen, Stable layered Ni–rich Li–Ni0.9Co0.07Al0.03O2 microspheres assembled with nanoparticles as high–performance cathode materials for lithium–ion batteries, J. Mater. Chem. A, 5(2017), No. 6, p. 2724.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- J.M. Zheng, P.F. Yan, R.G. Cao, H.F. Xiang, M.H. Engelhard, B.J. Polzin, C.M. Wang, J.G. Zhang, and W. Xu, Effects of propylene carbonate content in CsPF6–containing electrolytes on the enhanced performances of graphite electrode for lithium–ion batteries, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 8(2016), No. 8, p. 5715.CrossRefGoogle Scholar