Extraction of vanadium from vanadium slag by high pressure oxidative acid leaching
- 288 Downloads
To extract vanadium in an environment friendly manner, this study focuses on the process of leaching vanadium from vanadium slag by high pressure oxidative acid leaching. Characterizations of the raw slag, mineralogy transformation, and the form of leach residues were made by X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. The result shows that the vanadium slag is composed of major phases of fayalite, titanomagnetite, and spinel. During the high pressure oxidative acid leaching process, the fayalite and spinel phases are gradually decomposed by sulfuric acid, causing the release of vanadium and iron in the solution. Meanwhile, unreacted silicon and titanium are enriched in the leach residues. With the initial concentration of sulfuric acid at 250 g·L−1, a leaching temperature of 140°C, a leaching time of 50 min, a liquid-solid ratio of 10:1 mL·g−1, and oxygen pressure at 0.2 MPa, the leaching rate of vanadium reaches 97.69%.
Keywordsextraction vanadium slag pressure leaching sulfuric acid mineralogy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.J. Chen, Y.M. Zhang, and S.X. Song, Improved extraction of vanadium from a Chinese vanadium-bearing stone coal using a modified roast-leach process, Asia-Pac. J. Chem. Eng., 5(2010), No. 5, p. 778.Google Scholar
- X.Y. Zou, Q.J. Peng, Y.Z. Ouyang, and R.G. Tian, Research on the roasting process with calcium compounds for silica based vanadium ore, Chin. J. Process Eng., 1(2001), No. 2, p. 189.Google Scholar
- Z.Y. Bin, Study on Extraction of V2O5 from Vanadium ore by roasting and acid leaching process, Iron Steel Vanadium Titanium, 27(2006), No. 1, p. 21.Google Scholar
- Y.J. Hu, Y.M. Zhang, S.X. Bao, and T. Liu, Effects of the mineral phase and valence of vanadium on vanadium extraction from stone coal, Int. J. Miner. Metall. Mater., 19(2012), No. 10. p. 893.Google Scholar
- T.A. Zhang, W.Z. Mu, Z.H. Dou, G.Z. Lü, Y. Liu, Q.Y. Zhao, and J.C. He, A Hydrometallurgy Method for Extraction the Vanadium from the Converter Slag Containing Vanadium and Titanium, Chinese Patent, Appl.201010514573.8, 2010.Google Scholar