A Prospective Association of Nut Consumption with Cognitive Function in Chinese Adults Aged 55+ _ China Health and Nutrition Survey
We aimed to investigate the association of nut intake with cognitive function in Chinese adults aged 55 and over.
This was a prospective open cohort study with repeated measurements of diet and cognition scores.
4822 adults aged 55 and over participating in the China Health Nutrition Survey during 1991–2006.
Global cognitive function measured repeatedly in 1997, 2001, 2004, and 2006 using a subset of modified Telephone Interview for Cognitive Status; poor cognitive function was defined as cognition score<7. Nut consumption was collected using 3-day 24 recall method in 1991, 1993, and at surveys of cognition assessment.
Statistical analyses performed
Multilevel mixed effect linear regression and logistic regression analysis were conducted to assess the association with cognitive function.
The unadjusted cognitive score decreased by 0.29 (95% CI 0.22–0.28) with one-year aging during 1997–2006. Nut intake of more than 10g/d was associated with higher cognition score by 0.63 points (95% CI 0.15–1.12) or 40% less likely to have poor cognitive function (OR 0.60, 95% CI 0.43–0.84) after adjusted for demographic, lifestyle behavioural, BMI, and energy intake.
Nut consumption was inversely associated with cognition decline.
Key wordsNut consumption cognition function prospective association China Nutrition and Health Survey
- 5.Gorelick PB, Scuteri A, Black SE, et al on behalf of the American Heart Association Stroke Council, Council on Epidemiology and Prevention, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention, Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anaesthesia. Vascular contributions to cognitive impairment and dementia: A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2011;42(9): 2672–2713. doi: https://doi.org/10.1161/STR.0b013e3182299496.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Bourre JM. Effects of nutrients (in food) on the structure and function of the nervous system: update on dietary requirements for brain. Part 1: micronutrients. J Nutr Health Aging. 2006;10:377–385.Google Scholar
- 11.Li M, Shi Z. Dietary Pattern during 1991–2011 and its association with cardio metabolic risks in Chinese adults: The China Health and Nutrition Survey. Nutrients. 2017;9(11). doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9111218.
- 15.Lei X, Hu Y, McArdle JJ, Smith JP, Zhao Y. Gender Differences in Cognition among Older Adults in China. J Hum Resour. 2012;47(4):951–71.Google Scholar
- 16.Shi Z, Li M, Wang Y, Liu J, El-Obeid T. High iron intake is associated with poor cognition among Chinese old adults, and varied by weight status—A 15-year longitudinal study among 4852 adults. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqy254.
- 17.Yang Y. Chinese Food Composition Table 2004. Beijing: Peking University Medical Press, 2005.Google Scholar
- 21.National Bureau of Statistics of China. BRICS Joint Statistical Publication. 2017. Beijing. National Bureau of Statistics Publication House. August 2017. ISBN 978-7-5037-8240-4 P147.Google Scholar
- 22.International Nut & Dried Fruit. Nuts and dried fruits. Statistical yearbook 2017/2018. https://doi.org/www.nutfruit.org/who-we-are/news-and.../inc-2017-2018-statistical-yearbook (accessed on 18th May 2018).
- 25.Jimenez Pereperez J, NMartin C, Lopez-Miranda J et al. a Mediterranean diet, high in monounsaturated-fat and a low fat diet improve endothelial function in hypercholesterolemic patients. Atherosclerosis. 2000;151:215–215.Google Scholar
- 28.Berk L, Lohman E, Bains G et al. Nuts and Brain Health: Nuts Increase EEG Power Spectral Density (µV&[sup2]) for Delta Frequency (1–3Hz) and Gamma Frequency (31–40 Hz) Associated with Deep Meditation, Empathy, Healing, as well as Neural Synchronization, Enhanced Cognitive Processing, Recall, and Memory All Beneficial For Brain Health. FASEB J. 2017;31(s1): 624–636.Google Scholar
- 30.USDA Foreign Agricultural Service; US Department of Agriculture. Tree Nuts: World Markets and Trade. 2017. https://doi.org/www.statista.com/statistics/675987/walnut-production-share-worldwide-by-country/(accessed on 18th May 2018).