EuroQol Visual Analogue Scale (EQ-VAS) as a Predicting Tool for Frailty in Older Korean Adults: The Korean Frailty and Aging Cohort Study (KFACS)
This study was conducted to determine the cutoff value and efficacy of the EuroQol Visual Analogue Scale (EQ-VAS) for predicting frailty.
The EQ-VAS medians (Interquartile Range) were compared and analyzed against the FFI.
The subjects were 1471 older adults aged 70 to 84 years who had completed both EQ-VAS and Fried Frailty index (FFI) in the first baseline year (2016) of the Korean Frailty and Aging Cohort Study.
Of the 1471 subjects,600 were classified as robust, 716 as pre-frail, and 155 as frail. The median EQ-VAS scores were 80.00 (20.00) for robust, 75.00 (25.00) for pre-frail, and 60.00 (25.00) for frail subjects.The medians of all five components of the FFI, weight loss (70.00 vs. 80.00), grip strength (70.00 vs. 80.00), exhaustion (70.00 vs. 80.00), walking velocity (70.00 vs. 80.00), and physical activity (70.00 vs. 80.00), were lower in the abnormal groups. We tested the efficacy of EQ-VAS as a diagnostic tool to predict frailty, and the area under the curve of EQ-VAS was 0.71 withthe optimal cut-off value of 72.
EQ-VAS presented negative correlation with FFI, and the optimal cut off value for frailty was 72. These results suggest that EQ-VAS is a valuable tool for assessing frailty andmay be a good predictor of frailty in Korean elderly population.
Key wordsEQ-VAS aged frailty quality of life Korea
- 1.Statistics Korea. Korea statistical information system (KOSIS). Statistics DB, Farm economy. Web site. https://doi.org/www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=1010. Updated 2013. Accessed 22 April, 2014.
- 2.Wan He, Daniel Goodkind, and Paul Kowal. International population reports, An aging world: 2015. U S Census Bureau. 2016:P95/16-1.Google Scholar
- 3.The WHOQOL Group. The World Health Organization Quality of Life assessment (WHOQOL): position paper from the World Health Organization. SocSci Med 1995;41:1403-9.Google Scholar
- 7.The Ministry of Health & Welfare, Republic of Korea. The survey of Korean elderly population in 2008.Google Scholar
- 8.EuroQol group. EuroQol: a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. The EuroQol Group. Health Policy 1990;16(3):1999-208.Google Scholar
- 14.Tseng HM, Lu JF, Gandek B. Health Qual Life Outcomes. Cultural issues in using the SF-36 Health Survey in Asia: results from Taiwan. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2003 26;1:72.Google Scholar
- 17.Di Bari M, Profili F, Bandinelli S, Salvioni A, Mossello E, Corridori C, Razzanelli M, Di Fiandra T, Francesconi P. Screening for frailty in older adults using a postal questionnaire: rationale, methods, and instruments validation of the INTER-FRAIL study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Oct;62(10):1933–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Perneger TV, Gayet-Ageron,A, Courvoisier DS, Agoritsas T and Cullati S. Self-rated health: analysis of distances and transitions between response options. Quality of Life Research, 22, 2761–2768.Google Scholar
- 21.Mayumi Hirosaki, Kiyohito Okumiya, Taizo Wada, Masayuki Ishine, Ryota Sakamoto, Yasuko Ishimoto, Yoriko Kasahara, Yumi Kimura, Eriko Fukutomi, Wen Ling Chen, Masahiro Nakatsuka, Michiko Fujisawa, Kuniaki Otsuka, Kozo Matsubayashi. [Pleaes reformat the author names to match the other references] Selfrated health is associated with subsequent functional decline among older adults in Japan. Int Psychogeriatr. 2017 Sep;29(9):1475–1483.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Suijker J, Buurman BM, van Rijn M, van Dalen MT, ter Riet G, van Geloven N, et al. A simple validated questionnaire predicted functional decline incommunity-dwelling older persons: prospective cohort studies. J ClinEpidemiol. 2014;67:1121–30.Google Scholar
- 29.Orme J, Reis J, Herz E. Factorial and discriminate validity of the Center for Epidemiological Studies depression (CES-D) scale. J ClinPsychol. 1986;42:28–33.Google Scholar
- 30.Morley JE. Frailty: Diagnosis and management. J Nutrition, Health & Aging. volume 15, Number 8, 2011.Google Scholar
- 31.Pel-Littel RE, Schuurmans MJ, Emmelot-Vonk MH, Verhaar HJJ. Frailty: Defining and measuring of a concept. J Nutrition, Health & Aging. volume 13, Number 4, 2009.Google Scholar