Medical services for older people in nursing homes — Comparing services in England and The Netherlands
- First Online:
- 170 Downloads
As Europe faces an ageing population with increasing pressure on long term care, it is important for different systems to be compared and contrasted for the benefit of all. We compare long term care in the Netherlands to England, by examining the different care models, in terms of patient outcomes, quality of care, continuity of care and funding.
Key wordsMedical care older people long-term care England The Netherlands geriatric assessment health status continuing care
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.World Health Organization. The world health report 2006— working together for health. Geneva: WHO, 2006.Google Scholar
- 3.Robine J-M, Michel J-P, Herrmann FR. Who will care for the oldest people in our ageing society? BMJ 2007 doi: 10.1136/bmj.39129.397373.BE.Google Scholar
- 8.van der Cammen TJM. Geriatric Medicine in the Netherlands. Eu J Ger 2004;6(2):65–66.Google Scholar
- 10.Department of Health. Our health, our care, our say: a new direction for community services 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.Office of Fair Trading. Survey of providers of residential and nursing homes for older people (appendix E) 2005. http://www.oft.gov.uk Last accessed 24th September 2006.
- 12.Department of Health. Guidelines for the appointment of General; Practitioners with Special Interests in the Delivery of Clinical Services, Care of Older People, 2003. http://www.bgs.org.uk/Publications/Publication%20Downloads/gpwsiappointment.pdf. Last accessed 3rd October 2006.
- 13.http://www.gpwsi.org.uk/guidance/index.html. Last accessed 3rd October 2006.
- 14.http://www.natpact.nhs.uk/cms/165.php. Last accessed 3rd October 2006.
- 15.Gladman J, Archard G, Morris J. Interface between primary and secondary medical care in the new NHS in England: the care of frail older people by GPs and consultant geriatricians. 2007.Google Scholar
- 18.Arcares. Model for an Internal Quality System for Nursing homes (MIK-V: Model Intern Kwaliteitssysteem voor verpleeghuizen, 1995/1997). Utrecht, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- 19.Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport. Health Insurance in the Netherlands: the new health insurance system from 2006. www.minvws.nl. Last accessed 24.9.6.Google Scholar
- 22.http://www.onlok.org. Last accessed 24.9.6.
- 25.Gibson MJ, Gregory SR, Pandya SM. Long-Term Care in Developed Nations: A Brief Overview. AARP Public Policy Institute (Washington) 2003.Google Scholar