On Robust Multi-Year Tidal Prediction Using T_TIDE
- 7 Downloads
A minimum 19 year tidal prediction dataset covering nodal (satellite) modulation effects is required to determine the Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT) and Highest Astronomical Tide (HAT) datums. In this study, we explore the ability of a widely used conventional standard harmonic prediction program, T_TIDE ‘t_predic.m’ from Pawlowicz et al. (2002), to produce accurate continuous multi-year predictions. Comparisons are made with the more recent tidal prediction program, UTide ‘ut_reconstr.m’ from Codiga (2011). Tidal height records for two different regimes are employed: for diurnal tides data are employed from Cape Roberts in Antarctica, while for semi-diurnal tides data are used from Incheon, Gyeonggi Bay, Korea. Results demonstrate an issue arises in continuous multi-year tidal predictions made via T_TIDE, due to the program’s single calculation (fixed) of nodal modulation corrections (NMC). We explain a modified NMC update method that succe ss fully solves this problem, rendering the program of use for accurate continuous multi-year tidal predictions.
Keywordstidal harmonic prediction nodal factors nodal angles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We thank the anonymous reviewers for very helpful comments, and gratefully thank Ms. Hyowon Kim for her kind assistance with Matlab script coding and the drafting of figures.
- Bell C, Vassie JM, Woodworth PL (1999) POL/PSMSL Tidal Analysis Software Kit 2000 (TASK-2000). Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level. CCMS Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory, Bidston Observatory, Birkenhead, 20 pGoogle Scholar
- Codiga DL (2011) Unified tidal analysis and prediction using the UTide matlab functions. University of Rhode Island, Narragansett, 59 pGoogle Scholar
- Courtier A (1938) Classification of tides in four types. In: Conférences sur les marées, Paris, pp 50-58Google Scholar
- Foreman MGG (1977) Manual for tidal heights analysis and prediction. Institute of Ocean Sciences, Pacific Marine Science Report 77-10, 97 pGoogle Scholar
- Foreman MGG, Neufeld ET (1991) Harmonic tidal analyses of long time series. Int Hydrogr Rev LXVIII(I):85–109Google Scholar
- IHO (2018) Resolution on datums and benchmarks A2.5 3/1919. International Hydrographic Organization. https://doi.org/www.iho.int/iho_pubs/misc/M3-E-AUGUST18.pdf Accessed 5 Mar 2019Google Scholar