Monthly Geographical Distribution of Nemopilema nomurai (Scyphozoa: Rhizosotomeae) in the Bohai and North Yellow Seas: a Preliminary Study using Ships of Opportunity
Nemopilema nomurai, an endemic and blooming jellyfish species in the waters of Korea, China and Japan, were monitored from June to October, 2017, in the Bohai and northwestern Yellow Seas, using the ship sighting method, as a preliminary study to investigate the spatiotemporal distribution of medusae. Monitoring revealed that the mass appearance of young medusae was observed in Liaodong Bay in summer. In late summer they disappeared and a high density zone shifted to the mid- and northern Bohai Strait. In early fall, healthy adults with relatively high density were observed in the area around the border of the South and North Yellow Seas. These results suggest that medusae of N. nomurai originated from the Bohai Sea and were advected into the Yellow Sea through the Bohai Strait.
KeywordsNemopilema nomurai distribution Bohai Sea Yellow Sea sighting method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beardsley RC, Limeburner R, Kim K, Candela J (1992) Lagrangian flow observations in the East China, Yellow and Japan Seas. La Mer 30:297–314Google Scholar
- Chang SJ (2018) Diversity of the jellyfish in orders Semaeostomeae and Rhizostomeae in Korean Waters. Ph.D. Thesis, Pukyong National University, 146 pGoogle Scholar
- Guan BX (1994) Patterns and structures of the currents in Bohai, Huanghai and East China Sea. In: Zhou D, Liang YB, Tseng CK (eds) Oceanology of China Sea. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp 17–26Google Scholar
- Lin S, Zou T, Gao H, Guo X (2009) The vertical attenuation of irradiance as a function of turbidity: a case of the Huanghai (Yellow) Sea in spring. Acta Oceanol Sin 28:66–75Google Scholar
- Pan YQ, Su JL, Xu DR (1991) The formation and evolution of the East China Sea winter dense water. Acta Oceanol Sin 10:525–538Google Scholar
- Takao M, Ikeda H, Uye Si (2012) Spatio-temporal distribution of the giant jellyfish Nemopilema nomurai in East Asian Waters by sighting survey from ferry in 2012. In: The 9th Korea-Japan-China Jellyfish International Workshop, Dec 2012, Japan, pp 14–15Google Scholar
- Uye Si, Ikeda H, Takao M, Okawachi H, Yoshida A (2010) Spatiotemporal distribution of the giant jellyfish Nemopilema nomurai in East Asian Waters by sighting survey from ferry in 2010. In: The 7th Korea-Japan-China Jellyfish International Workshop, Dec 2010, KoreaGoogle Scholar
- Zhao BR, Zhuang GW, Cao DM, Lei FH (1995) Circulation, tidal residual currents and their effects on the sedimentations in the Bohai Sea. Oceanol Limnol Sin 26:466–473 (in Chinese)Google Scholar