The occurrence of Clithon retropictus (v. Martens, 1879) (Gastropoda: Neritidae) in an unusual habitat, northern Jeju Island, Republic of Korea
- 314 Downloads
Clithon retropictus is a neritid gastropod inhabiting mainly brackish water. Currently this species has been listed as a second grade endangered species of wildlife in Korea by the Ministry of Environment, due to the decrease in its population size. C. retropictus has previously been identified from estuaries on the south coast of Korea. In Jeju Island, this species has been reported only from the south coast. However, a population has recently been discovered on the north coast of the island in an apparently new type of habitat, under rocks adjacent to a dry riverbed on a muddy substrate. C. retropictus was found to be aggregated under some of the larger rocks, and the habitat was located near the high tide line. The present study reports some possible reasons for the occurrence of the population in this unusual habitat, and provides useful information on the biometry and population size which can be used in the management of this endangered species.
Key wordsClithon retropictus Neritidae habitat endangered species estuary Jeju Island
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chung PR (2003) Freshwater molluscs in Korea. Yunhaksa, Korea, 61 pGoogle Scholar
- Hirata T, Nishiwaki S, Ueda H, Tsuchiya Y, Sato T (1992) Seasonal changes in moving activity of Clithon retropictus (Prosobranchia: Neritidae). Japanese J Malacol, Venus 51:57–66 (In Japanese)Google Scholar
- Hirata T, Nishiwaki S, Ueda H, Tsuchiya Y, Sato T (2000) Hatching season and the duration of embryonic development in Clithon retropictus (Gastropoda: Neritidae). Bull Fac Edu Hum Sci, Yamanashi Univ 2:19–28 (In Japanese)Google Scholar
- Hirata T, Nishiwaki S, Ueda H, Tsuchiya H, Sato T (2001) Salt tolerance in the brackish and freshwater snail, Clithon retropictus (Gastropoda: Neritidae). Bull Fac Edu Hum Sci, Yamanashi Univ 2:20–28 (In Japanese)Google Scholar
- Hirata T, Ueda H, Tsuchiya Y, Sato T, Nishiwaki S (1999) Distribution of Clithon retropictus (Gastropoda; Neritidae) and environmental conditions in the rivers of Izu Peninsula. Bull Fac Edu Hum Sci, Yamanashi Univ 1:24–30 (In Japanese)Google Scholar
- Kobayashi S, Iwasaki K (2002) Distribution and spatio-temporal variation in the population structure of the fluvial neritid gastropod Clithon retropictus. Benthos Res 57:91–101Google Scholar
- Min DK (2004) Mollusks in Korea. Hanguel graphics, Korea, 113 pGoogle Scholar
- Neritopsine Gastropods (2010) Available from www:http://neritopsine.lifedesks.org/taxa