Corythucha ciliata, a new Platanus pest in Turkey
- 139 Downloads
An invasive Tingidae, the platanus lace bug Corythucha ciliata (Say, 1832) (Hemiptera: Tingidae), which specializes on Platanus spp., was found for the first time in Turkey in 2007; it was recorded from a 120 km2 area in the northwestern part of the country. Infestations occurred in an area between Taşkesti and Abant in Bolu Province, which is located near major cities and two main motorways. The pest species is newly spreading in Turkey, causing noticeable damage to Platanus orientalis trees.
KeywordsPlatanus lace bug New pest record
I would like to thank Douglas W. Whitman for his assistance in the correction of this manuscript.
- Barnard, E. L., & Dixon, W. N. (1983). Insects and diseases: important problems of Florida’s forest and shade tree resources. Florida Division of Forestry Bulletin, 196, 120.Google Scholar
- d’Aguilar, J., Pralavorio, R., Rabasse, J. M., & Mouton, R. (1977). Introduction en France du tigre du platane: Corythucha ciliata (Say) (Het. Tingidae). Bulletin de la Société Entomologique de France, 82, 1–6.Google Scholar
- Davis, P. H. (1982). Flora of Turkey, vol. 7, pp. 655–656. Edinburgh, UK: University of Edinburgh Press.Google Scholar
- Drew, W. A., & Arnold, D. C. (1977). Tingoidea of Oklahoma (Hemiptera). Proceedings of the Oklahoma Academy of Science, 57, 29–31.Google Scholar
- Mutun, S. (2003). First report of the oak lace bug, Corythucha arcuata (Say, 1832) (Heteroptera: Tingidae) from Bolu, Turkey. Israel Journal of Zoology, 46, 323–324.Google Scholar
- Özsi, B. L., Ladanyı, M., & Hufnagel, M. (2005). Population dynamics of the sycamore lace bug, Corythucha ciliata (Say) (Heteroptera: Tingidae) in Hungary. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research, 4, 135–150.Google Scholar
- Pellizzari, G., & Dalla Montà, L. (1997). 1945–1995: fifty years of incidental insect pest introduction to Italy. Acta Phytopathologica Hungarica, 32, 171–183.Google Scholar
- Prado, C. E. (1990). Presencia en Chile de Corythucha ciliata (Say) (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Tingidae). Revista Chilena de Entomologia, 18, 53–55.Google Scholar
- Servadei, A. (1966). Un Tingide neartico comparso in Italia (Corythuca ciliata Say). Bolletino della Societa Entomologica Italiana, Genova, 96, 94–96.Google Scholar
- Tokihiro, G., Tanaka, K., & Kondo, K. (2003). Occurrence of the sycamore lace bug, Corythucha ciliata (Say) (Heteroptera: Tingidae) in Japan. Research Bulletin of the Plant Protection Service Japan, 39, 85–87.Google Scholar