Internet of Things
- 21k Downloads
It has been next to impossible in the past months not to come across the term “Internet of Things” (IoT) one way or another. Especially the past year has seen a tremendous surge of interest in the Internet of Things. Consortia have been formed to define frameworks and standards for the IoT. Companies have started to introduce numerous IoT-based products and services. And a number of IoT-related acquisitions have been making the headlines, including, e.g., the prominent takeover of Nest by Google for $3.2 billion and the subsequent acquisitions of Dropcam by Nest and of SmartThings by Samsung. Politicians as well as practitioners increasingly acknowledge the Internet of Things as a real business opportunity, and estimates currently suggest that the IoT could grow into a market worth $7.1 trillion by 2020 (IDC 2014).
While the term Internet of Things is now more and more broadly used, there is no common definition or understanding today of what the IoT actually encompasses....
KeywordsInternet of things Technology stack Platforms
- Fleisch E (2010) What is the internet of things – an economic perspective. Auto-ID labs white paper. http://www.im.ethz.ch/education/HS10/AUTOIDLABS-WP-BIZAPP-53.pdf. Accessed 20 Feb 2014
- Fleisch E, Weinberger M, Wortmann F (2014) Business models for the internet of things. Bosch lab white paper. http://www.iot-lab.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/EN_Bosch-Lab-White-Paper-GM-im-IOT-1_1.pdf. Accessed 29 Sep 2014
- IDC (2014) The internet of things moves beyond the buzz: worldwide market forecast to exceed $7 trillion by 2020, IDC says [press release]. http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24903114. Accessed 3 June 2014
- ITU (2012) New ITU standards define the internet of things and provide the blueprints for its development. http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/newslog/New+ITU+Standards+Define+The+Internet+Of+Things+And+Provide+The+Blueprints+For+Its+Development.aspx. Accessed 27 Sep 2014
- Janssen C (2015) Platform. http://www.techopedia.com/ definition/3411/platform. Accessed 28 Jan 2015
- Mattern F (2013) Die technische Basis für M2M und das Internet der Dinge. In: Eberspächer J, Kubach U (eds) M2M und das Internet der Dinge. Münchner Kreis, pp 46–69Google Scholar
- Porter ME, Heppelmann JE (2014) How smart, connected products are transforming competition. Harv Bus Rev 92:11–64Google Scholar
- Schuermans S, Vakulenko M (2014) IoT: breaking free from internet and things. Vision Mobile, London. http://www.visionmobile.com/product/iot-breaking-free-internet-things/. Accessed 20 Sep 2014
- Vermesan O, Friess P, Guillemin P, Sundmaeker H, Eisenhauer M, Moessner K, Arndt M, Spirito M, Medagliani P, Giaffreda R, Gusmeroli S, Ladid L, Serrano M, Hauswirth M, Baldini G (2014) Internet of things strategic research and innovation agenda. In: Vermesan O, Friess P (eds) Internet of things – from research and innovation to market deployment. River Publishers, Aalborg, pp 7–142Google Scholar