An explicit and novel structure, lattice dynamics, and photoemission of La-doped nanocrystalline SrZrO3 perovskite
- 22 Downloads
As no complete and comprehensive studies have been previously reported for La-doped nanocrystalline SrZrO3 (SZO), we researched herein a detailed investigation for pure and La-doped samples. A modified solid-state reaction process, including successive cycles of milling and sintering at high temperature, was followed to produce SZO and Sr0.9La0.1ZrO3 (SLZO) powdered ingots. Rietveld analysis of X-ray diffractometer data predicts that the two samples exhibit orthorhombic structure with an increase in crystallite size by ~25% for doped sample. A great reduction in Raman modes intensity (~60%) and an annihilation of several vibration modes were detected using Raman spectroscopy. The degree of ordering on the B-site was recorded to be higher in La-doped sample. According to ultraviolet–visible (UV–Vis) absorption, a decrease in the optical gap width (Eg) from 4.40 eV to 4.21 eV was achieved by La incorporation due to the presence of additional defect states such as oxygen and Sr vacancies at the band edge. The process of electron–hole recombination was studied using photoluminescence (PL) spectroscopy. Deconvolution of PL spectra yielded four emission bands: one green band, one blue band, and two violet bands. Highly intense violet emission at λ = 393 nm approximately five times greater than that detected for pure SZO is realized as La3+ substitutes for Sr2+. Such property nominates SLZO for technological applications requiring highly intense violet emission, e.g., light-emitting diodes.
KeywordsOrthorhombic perovskite structure Lattice dynamics Diffused reflectance Photoluminescence Highly intense violet emission
The authors are grateful to the Grants Commission of Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt for supporting this work. The authors are Thankful to Nanotechnology Characterization Center (NCC)-Cairo University and Central Metallurgical Research Institute (CMRDI)-El Tebeen for extending the XRD and UV–Vis diffused reflectance facility.
- Suriyayothin N, Error NG. Effect of La additions on the electrical conductivity of SrZrO3. In: The 86th annual meeting of the American Ceramic Society, Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania). 1984. 1.Google Scholar
- Kumar A, Kumari S, Borkar H, Katiyar RS, Scott JF. Experimental verification of the ab initio phase transition sequence in SrZrO3 and comparisons with SrHfO3 and SrSnO3. NPJ Comput Mater. 2017;3(2):1.Google Scholar
- Kubelka P, Munk F. The Kubelka–Munk theory of reflectance. Ein Beitrag zur Optik der Farbanstriche Z Technol Phys. 1931;12:593.Google Scholar
- Palik ED. Handbook of optical constants of solid II. Boston: Academic Press; 1991. 187.Google Scholar
- Longo VM, Cavalcante LS, Erlo R, Mastelaro VR, de Figueiredo AT, Sambrano JR, de Làzaro S, Freitas AZ, Gomes L Jr, Vieira ND, Varela JA, Longo E. Strong violet–blue light photoluminescence emission at room temperature in SrZrO3: joint experimental and theoretical study. Acta Mater. 2008;56(10):2191.CrossRefGoogle Scholar