Self-sensing tribological coating with phosphor particles for wear indicator
- 45 Downloads
Monitoring of coating health was achieved by embedding sensor materials (MAl2O4: Eu2+, Dy3+, M = Sr, Ba) in tribological coating. When the luminescence disappears under ultraviolet (UV) light, it means that the functional coating is worn out and that recoating is needed. In this work, four types of alloy (Cu-14Al-X, Cu, Cu-Al, Al) composite coatings were investigated by vacuum pressure-assisted sintering method. The composite coatings with different copper–aluminium alloy matrixes were compared by phase composition, microstructure, luminescence properties and tribological performance. The results indicate that the Cu-14Al-X matrix composite coating shows not only good resistance to wear but also exhibits strong green light emitting under ultraviolet (UV) light. It is the best wear-resistant self-sensitive coating which has potential industrial value. When the coating wore or broke, the emitting intensity will decrease or disappear.
KeywordsCopper–aluminium alloy coatings Luminescent powders Wear indicator Luminescent spectroscopy Tribology
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51674130), Natural Science Fund of Gansu Province of China (No. 1508RJZA049) and the International Science and Technology Cooperation Projects (No. 2015DFR51090).
- Brunskill H, Harper P, Lewis R. The real-time measurement of wear using ultrasonic reflectometry. Wear. 2015;(s):332.Google Scholar
- Zhou F, Fu YQ, Gao Y. Luminescence characteristics of SrAl2O4 ceramics coatings deposited by plasma spraying. Rare Met Mater Eng. 2009;38(z2):770.Google Scholar
- Qiu GM, Sun YB, Chen YJ, Zhang M. Studies on self-luminous material and coating with long persistent yellow–green afterglow. J Rare Earth. 2003;21(5):533.Google Scholar
- Chang L, He N, Zhang HY, Xu SC, Deng XR, Luo AQ. The green phosphor SrAl2O4: Eu2+, R3+ (R = Y, Dy) and its application in alternating current light-emitting diodes. Funct Mater Lett. 2013;6(4):50047.Google Scholar
- Wang YH, Song XY, Zhang SH. SrAl2O4: Eu2+, Dy3+ synthesis by flux method and long after glow properties. Chin J Inorg Chem. 2006;1:41.Google Scholar