Electrochemical co-reduction of holmium and magnesium ions in eutectic LiCl–KCl salts
- 27 Downloads
The electrochemical co-reduction of Ho(III) and Mg(II) ions was investigated on Mo electrode in eutectic LiCl–KCl salts at temperature of 773 K using various electrochemical techniques. Cyclic voltammogram (CV) and square wave voltammogram exhibit three reduction peaks corresponding to the reduction of Ho(III) on pre-deposited Mg electrode, whose potentials are more positive than that of Ho on Mo electrode because of the formation of Mg-Ho intermetallic compounds by co-reduction of Ho(III) and Mg(II) ions. Meanwhile, chronopotentiometry and open-circuit chronopotentiometry were used to explore the electrochemical formation of Mg–Ho intermetallics. Mg–Ho alloys were produced by galvanostatic electrolysis at the current of 1.5 A for different electrolysis durations. Ho5Mg24, HoMg2 and HoMg intermetallic compounds were acquired and characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) coupled with energy-dispersive spectroscopy (EDS). The results indicate that Mg–Ho intermetallic compounds, Ho5Mg24, HoMg2 and HoMg, could be prepared by molten salts electrolysis.
KeywordsElectrochemical formation Co-reduction Mg–Ho alloys Galvanostatic electrolysis
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 11575047, 11675044, 21790373, 21876034 and 11875116), the Major Research Plan of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 91326113 and 91226201) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. HEUCF201849).
- Wang J, Zhang YA, Fan YQ, Jin LB, Li XW, Li ZH. Microstructure of semicontinuous casting ingot and homogenization of high zinc-containing Al–Zn–Mg–Cu alloys with Zn and Mg additives. Chin J Rare Met. 2016;40(11):1081.Google Scholar
- Yang WY, Xie M, Chen YT, Wang JH, Zhang JM, Wang S. Microstructure and phase analysis of Ag–Mg–Ni alloy. Chin J Rare Met. 2016;40(10):969.Google Scholar
- Yang QY, Tang MY, Liu Y, Tu H, Su XP, Wang JH. Solidification microstructure and mechanical properties of Zn–Al–Mg alloy with different aluminum and magnesium contents. Chin J Rare Met. 2016;40(5):421.Google Scholar
- Feng XW, Qi WJ, Li XH, Li ZC. Microstructure and mechanical properties of Mg–Zn–Gd alloys. Chin J Rare Met. 2016;40(1):14.Google Scholar
- Brenner A. Electrodeposition of Alloys. New York: Academic Press; 1963. 429.Google Scholar
- Zhao MS, Lu XP, Liang J. Electrochemical behavior of Nd3+ and Ho3+ ions in LiC1–KCl eutectic melt. J Rare Earths. 1997;15(2):105.Google Scholar
- Li M, Sun TT, Han W, Wang SS, Zhang ML, Yan YD, Zhang M. Electrochemical formation of Ho–Ni alloys in molten LiCl–KCl–HoCl3. Chin J Inorg Chem. 2015;31(1):177.Google Scholar