Effects of heat treatment on mechanical properties of ODS nickel-based superalloy sheets prepared by EB-PVD
- 157 Downloads
A Y2O3 dispersion strengthened nickel-based superalloy sheet (0.15 mm thick) was prepared by electron beam physical vapor deposition (EB-PVD) technology. Different heat treatments were used to improve the mechanical properties of the alloy sheet. Differential thermal analysis (DTA) was used to examine the thermal stability of the as-deposited sheet. Element contents, phase composition and microstructure investigations on as-deposited and heat treated specimens were performed by X-ray fluorescence spectrometer (XRF), X-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). Tensile tests were conducted at room temperature on specimens as-deposited and heat treated. The results show that the as-deposited sheet is composed of equiaxed grains on the substrate side and columnar grains on the evaporation side. The as-deposited sheet shows poor ductility due to micropores between columnar grains. The strength and ductility can be improved effectively by annealing at 800°C for 3 h. For samples treated at 1100°C, the strength drops down due to the precipitates of Y3Al5O12 (YAG).
Keywordssuperalloys nickel alloys mechanical properties heat treatment electron beams physical vapor deposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Movchan B.A., EB-PVD technology in the gas turbine industry: present and future, JOM, 1996, 48(11): 40.Google Scholar
- Kuwabara T., Kurishita H., and Hasegawa M., Development of an ultra-fine grained V-1.7mass% Y alloy dispersed with yttrium compounds having superior ductility and high strength, Mater. Sci. Eng., A, 2006, 417(1–2): 16.Google Scholar
- Mujahid M. and Martin J.W., Development of microstructures of high grain aspect ratio during zone annealing of oxide dispersion strengthened superalloys, Mater. Sci. Technol., 1994, 10(8): 703.Google Scholar
- Iino Y., Effects of high temperature air and vacuum exposure on tensile properties and fracture of ODS alloy MA6000, Mater. Sci. Eng., A, 1997, 234–236: 802.Google Scholar
- Li X.H., Research on Large Scale Ni-based Superalloy Sheets Deposited by EB-PVD, [Dissertation], Harbin institute of technology, Harbin, 2006: 56.Google Scholar