Influence of Mg and Ti on the microstructure and electrochemical performance of aluminum alloy sacrificial anodes
The experiments focused on the influence of magnesium and titanium as additional alloying elements on the microstructure and electrochemical behavior of Al-Zn-In sacrificial anodes. The electrochemical behavior of the aluminum sacrificial anode with 3 wt.% sodium chloride solution was studied by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) tests. It was found that a microstructure with few precipitates and refined grains could be achieved by adding 1 wt.% Mg and 0.05 wt.% Ti to the Al-Zn-In alloy, resulting in the improved current capacity and efficiency of the alloy. The equivalent circuit based on the EIS experimental data revealed less corrosion and lower adsorbed corrosion production on the surface of the aluminum alloy with a combination of 1 wt.% Mg and 0.05 wt.% Ti, which suggested that the corrosion behavior seemed to be strongly related to the presence of precipitate particles in the aluminum alloy, and moderate amounts of precipitate particles could be beneficial to the electrochemical performance of the aluminum alloy sacrificial anode.
Keywordsaluminum alloy sacrificial anode electrochemical performance microstructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bessone J.B., Flamini D.O., and Saidman S.B., Comprehensive model for the activation mechanism of Al-Zn alloys produced by indium, Corros. Sci., 2005, 47(3): 256.Google Scholar
- Ma J.L., Wen J.B., Li X.D., Li G.F., Jiao M.W., and Guo W., Effect of heat treatment on microstructure and electrochemical performance of Al-Zn-In-Mg-Ti alloy, Trans. Mater. Heat Treatment (in Chinese), 2008, 29(3): 113.Google Scholar
- Sina H., Emamya M., and Saremi M., The influence of Ti and Zr on electrochemical properties of aluminum sacrificial anodes, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2006, 431(4): 263.Google Scholar
- GB/T17848-1999, Test Methods for Electrochemical Properties of Sacrificial Anodes (in Chinese), China Standard Press, Beijing, 2002.Google Scholar
- Cao C.N. and Zhang J.Q., An Introduction to Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (in Chinese), Science Press, Beijing, 2004.Google Scholar