Kinetic spectrophotometric method for the determination of cerium(IV) with naphthol green B
- 103 Downloads
A simple and sensitive spectrophotometric method was described for the determination of cerium(IV) based on its catalytic effect on the oxidation of naphthol green B by potassium periodate in the medium of sulfuric acid. The influences of acidity, concentration of reactants, reaction time, reaction temperature, and foreign ions were discussed, and the optimum reaction conditions were established. The reaction was monitored spectrophotometrically by measuring the decrease in absorbance of naphthol green B at 710 nm after a fixed time (8 min). The proposed method allowed the determination of cerium(IV) in the range of 0.08−2.4 μg·mL−1 with good precision and accuracy, and the detection limit was 0.012 μg·mL−1. The method was applied successfully for the determination of trace cerium in hair samples without previous separation. Recovery experiments were also performed, and the recovery was between 95.7%–111.0%.
Keywordscatalytic kinetics spectrophotometry naphthol green B cerium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hu B., Jiang Z.C., Qin Y.C., He M., and Liang P., Determination of trace metal impurities in cerium oxide by fluorination-assisted ETV-ICP-AES after HPLC separation, J. Rare Earths, 2004, 22(2): 197.Google Scholar
- Liu Y.Y. and Zhang S.Q., Spectrophotometric determination of trace cerium with fading reaction, Chin. J. Anal. Lab. (in Chinese), 2005, 24(7): 59.Google Scholar
- Chen N.S., Wang L.L., Zhuo Z.J., and Guo X.Y., Determination of trace amount of cerium by inhibitory discoloring kinetic spectrophotometry, Chin. J. Rare Earth (in Chinese), 2003, 27(4): 517.Google Scholar
- Tang N.L., Kinetic spectrophotometry determination of trace amount of cerium(IV), Phys. Test. Chem. Anal. Part B (in Chinese), 2006, 42(3): 213.Google Scholar
- Wang X.Z., Guo H.M., Tang T., and Huang C., Determination of trace amounts of cerium by negative catalytic kinetic spectrophotometric, Chin. J. Anal. Lab. (in Chinese), 2001, 20(3): 47.Google Scholar