Airplane boarding optimization considering reserved seats and passengers’ carry-on bags
- 26 Downloads
In this paper, we develop a model to assign airplane seats to ordinary passengers to minimize their boarding time while some seats have been reserved earlier by high priority passengers. Our proposed mixed integer programming model assigns ordinary passengers to seats based on the amount of their carry-on bags and results in the minimum time to complete boarding of the airplane. The proposed model can result in 5% to 20% reductions in the average boarding time compared to the situation when passengers’ luggage is not considered.
KeywordsAirplane boarding Mixed integer program Passenger luggage Sequencing
We would like to declare that thesis is funded through Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) (Grant No. RT735236) Discovery and Discovery Accelerator Supplement grants, an Alberta Motor Association - Alberta Innovates Technology Futures (AMA-AITF) (Grant No. 10002678) collaborative grant in Smart Multi-modal Transportation Systems and the Urban Alliance professorship in Transportation Systems Optimization.
- 1.Allegiant Air: Optional services and fees (2013). http://www.allegiantair.com/popup/optional-services-fees. Accessed May 28th
- 2.Audenaert, J., Verbeeck, K., Berghe, G.V.: Multi-agent based simulation for boarding. In: The 21st Belgian-Netherlands Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 3–10 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Ball, M., Barnhart, C., Dresner, M., Hansen, M., Neels, K., Odoni, A., Peterson, E., Sherry, L., Trani, A., Zou, B., Britto, R.: Total delay impact study. In: NEXTOR Research Symposium, Washington DC (2010). http://www.nextor.org. Accessed Oct 2010.
- 12.Powell, S.G., Baker, K.R.: Business analytics: The art of modeling with spreadsheets. Wiley (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Spirit Airlines: Options and extras (2015) http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees. Accessed 2 Aug