Ultra-high negative dispersion and nonlinearity based single mode photonic crystal fiber: design and analysis
- 35 Downloads
In this article, we have proposed a large negative dispersion coefficient and highly nonlinear polarization maintaining single mode square photonic crystal fiber. The proposed design is extremely attractive for compensation of chromatic dispersion of − 1052.60 ps/(nm km) to − 2421.90 ps/(nm km) around 1340–1640 nm wavelength band. Guiding characteristics are investigated applying finite element method containing perfectly matched layer boundary condition. Simulation outcomes ensure the possibility of large negative dispersion coefficient and low confinement loss of − 2015.30 ps/(nm km) and 3.41 × 101 dB/m respectively, at 1550 nm wavelength. The proposed fiber also exhibits highly nonlinear coefficient of 99.73 W−1 km−1 at the same wavelength. Moreover, V parameter assures the single mode operation of the structured fiber over the whole band of interest. The structural diameter variation of ± 2% over the optimum value is simulated and reported to explore the practical feasibility. Besides, effective area is also presented and explained. From overall investigations, it can be reported that the proposed fiber will be an attractive candidate in high-speed transmission system for broadband dispersion compensation, nonlinear optics and sensing applications as well.
KeywordsUltra-high negative dispersion Nonlinear coefficient Dispersion compensating S-PCF Effective area Single mode fiber Confinement loss
The authors are grateful to those who participated in this research work.
- 15.J. Lægsgaard, S.B. Libori, K. Hougaard, J. Riishede, T.T. Larsen, T. Sørensen, T.P. Hansen, K.P. Hansen, M.D. Nielsen, J.B. Jensen, A. Bjarklev, Dispersion properties of photonic crystal fibers - issues and opportunities. MRS Proceedings (2004). https://doi.org/10.1557/PROC-797-W7.1
- 16.S.G. Li, X.D. Liu, L.T. Hou, Numerical study on dispersion compensating property in photonic crystal fibers. Acta Phys. Sin. 53, 1880 (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.M.A. Islam, Broadband dispersion compensation of single mode fiber by using modified decagonal photonic crystal fiber having high birefringence. J. Lasers Opt. Photon. 2, 123 (2015)Google Scholar
- 22.P.S. Maji, P.R. Chaudhuri, Dispersion properties of the square-lattice elliptical-core PCFs. Am. J. Opt. Photonics (AJOP) 2(1), 1–6 (2014)Google Scholar
- 33.Q. Li, C. Liu, H. Li, T. Sun, Research on dispersion compensating property and nonlinear coefficient of photonic crystal fiber, in: Symposium on Photonics and Optoelectronics, 14–16 Aug 2009Google Scholar