First Record of Teak Skeletonizer, Eutectona machaeralis Infesting Vitex negundo in Western Ghats, India
- 11 Downloads
Teak skeletonizer, Eutectona machaeralis is a serious pest of Tectona grandis (Teak). Teak is one of the important plantation tree species being utilized in many industries. During the field visit of Western Ghats in Maharashtra during November–December of 2018, E. machaeralis was found to be infesting the leaves of Vitex negundo. Most of the twigs were found infested by E. machaeralis. V. negundo is an important medicinal plant, available in various regions of India. The inclusion of this alternative host of E. machaeralis may be due to climatic variation.
KeywordsAlternate host Vitex negundo Skeletonizer Teak Western Ghats
- Ahmad, M. 1990. Potentiality of egg parasites, Trichogramma spp., against defoliating pests of teak, Tectona grandis. LF. Annals of Entomology 8: 119–122.Google Scholar
- Dhobe, N.S., and K.V. Naik. 2015. Bionomics of Teak leaf skeletonizer, Eutectona machaeralis Walker (Pyrallidae: Lepidoptera) under laboratory conditions. The Indian Forester 141(5): 554–560.Google Scholar
- Joshi, K.C., N. Kulkarni, S. Sambath, S. Chandra, R.B. Singh, R.K. Malviya, and N. Roychoudhury. 2006. Supplementation of indigenous egg parasitoid Trichogramma raoi Nagaraja, to minimize the attack of teak pests—A case study. In Proceedings of regional workshop on recorded advanced in teak research manage. Pract. In central India, eds. Subramanian K, Joshi, A.K., Mishra, A.K., and Kulkarni, M.M, 175–183. Forest Development Corporation of Maharashtra, Nagpur, India.Google Scholar
- Kabade, K.H. 2014. Bioecology of important foliage insect-pests and characterization of Teak. Doctoral Dissertation, submitted to Navsari Agricultural University, Gujarat, India, 155 +xiv.Google Scholar
- Kabade, K.H., Z.P. Patel, and S.T. Gawali. 2015. Crop-pest map in teak against teak skeletonizer and defoliator under heavy rainfall zone of south Gujarat condition. Plant Archives 15(1): 101–103.Google Scholar
- Karthikeyan, V., K. Sivakumar, A. Gokuldas, and S. Mohanasundaram. 2012. Studies on larvicidal activity of Leucas aspera, Vitex negundo and Eucalyptus against Culex quinquefasciatus collected from Cooum river of Chennai, India. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Clinical Research 5(3): 189–192.Google Scholar
- Katagall, R.D. 1991. Insect pests of teak (Tectona Grandis Linn.) with special reference to the bioecology of the defoliator, Hyblaea Puera (Cramer) (Lepidoptera: Hyblaeidae). Doctoral dissertation, submitted to University of Agricultural Sciences; Bangalore, 161.Google Scholar
- Khan, S., N. Soni, and M. Yousuf. 2017. Teak defoliator: Changing host preference-may be climatic effect in Madhya Pradesh, India. Entomon 42(4): 339–342.Google Scholar
- Kulkarni, N., S. Paunikar, and S.S. Hussaini. 2011. Susceptibility of Teak Skeletonizer, Eutectona machaeralis (Walker) to the EPN, Heterorhabditis indica Poinar. World Journal of Zoology 6(1): 33–39.Google Scholar
- Kumar, S., and V.P. Prajapati. 2005. Exploring the insect fauna of teak, Tectona grandis in South Gujarat. Annual report submitted to Forest Department, Gujarat, 38–46.Google Scholar
- Meshram, P.B., N. Kulkarni, and K.C. Joshi. 1994. Antifeedant activity of certain plant products against teak skeletonizer, Eutectona machaeralis Walk. (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Annals of Entomology 12(2): 53–56.Google Scholar
- Mishra, R.M., and M. Singh. 2004. Forest Entomology in India. Sujata Book House 39-A, Rajpura Rad, Dehradun, Uttaranchal, 31–46.Google Scholar
- Nair, K.S.S., and K. Mohandas. 1996. Early events in the outbreak of the teak caterpillar, Hyblaea puera. International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Science 22: 271–279.Google Scholar
- Nair, K.S.S., V.V. Sudheendrakumar, R.V. Varma, K.C. Chako, and K. Jayaraman. 1996. Effect of defoliation by Hyblaea puera and Eutectona machaeralis (Lepidoptera) on volume increment of teak. Proceedings of IUFRO symposium on impact of diseases and insect pests in tropical forests, 257–273.Google Scholar
- NBAIR. 2013. Insect Pests of Paliga machaeralis (Walker). http://www.nbair.res.in/insectpests/Paliga-machoeralis.php. Accessed 20 November 2018.
- Orwa, C., A. Mutua, R. Kindt, R. Jamnadass, and A. Simons. 2009. Agroforestry database: a tree species reference and selection guide version 4.0. World Agroforestry Centre ICRAF, Nairobi, KE.Google Scholar
- Patil, B.V., and T.S. Thontadarya. 1983. Seasonal incidence of teak skeletonizer, Pyrausta machaeralis Walker (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in Prabhunagar Forest. Indian Journal of Entomology 10(2): 204–209.Google Scholar
- Tandon, V.R. 2005. Medicinal uses and biological activities of Vitex negundo. Natural product radiance 4(3): 162–165.Google Scholar
- Tripathy, M.K., M. Rout, and A. Tripathy. 2018. Population dynamics of teak defoliator, Hyblaea puera Cramer at coastal Odisha, India. Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies 6(5): 2378–2387.Google Scholar
- TNAU. 2015. Pest management in tree crops: Teak. (TNAU Agritechportal Forestry). (http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/forestry/forest_pest_Teak%20defoliator.html). Accessed 20 November 2018.