Predatory Behaviour of Larval Alluaudomyia formosana Okada on Alluaudomyia xanthocoma Kieffer (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae)–Video Documentation
- 54 Downloads
The predation of adult Alluaudomyia upon several insects is well documented. However, the phenomenon of larval predation within the group is scant. The videos depict the predatory behaviour of larvae of Alluaudomyia formosana on Alluaudomyia xanthocoma within a petridish in the laboratory. The footages clearly demonstrate the mode of infliction of A. formosana on the intertergal membrane of A. xanthocoma with concomitant extradition of tissue fluids which led to death of the larvae.
KeywordAlluaudomyia formosana Alluaudomyia xanthocoma predation video
We are thankful to the University Grants Commission, New Delhi and to the Head of the Department of Zoology, The University of Burdwan for laboratory facilities. Sincere gratitude owes to Dr. P. K. Chaudhuri for the valuable suggestions.
Video: 1 A larva of A. formosana attacking A. xanthocoma larva and ingesting haemolymph; 2 Two larvae of A. formosana comes together for attacking one at a time (WMV 32009 kb)
Supplementary material 2 (WMV 4388 kb)
- Das Gupta, S.K. 1972. Work report in communication form in Ceratopogonid information exchange. Bulletin 12: 4.Google Scholar
- Hair, J.A., and E.C. Turner. 1966. Laboratory colonization and mass-production procedures for Culicoides guttipennis. Mosquito News 26 (3): 429–433.Google Scholar
- Hribar, L.J., and G.R. Mullen. 1991. Predation by Bezzia larvae (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) on mosquito larvae (Diptera: Culicidae). Entomological News 102 (4): 183–186.Google Scholar
- Mullen, G.R., and L.J. Hribar. 1988. Biology and feeding behavior of ceratopogonid larvae (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) in North America. Bulletin of the Society for Vector Ecology 13: 60–81.Google Scholar
- Thomsen, L.C. 1937. Aquatic Diptera 5. Ceratopogonidae. Memoirs of the Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station 210: 57–80.Google Scholar
- Williams, R.W. 1953. Notes on the bionomics of the Alluaudomyia of Baker County, Georgia. I. observations on breeding habitats of bella and needhami. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 55 (5): 283–285.Google Scholar
- Wirth, W.W. 1983. A review of the American predaceous midges of the Bezzia nobilis group (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae). Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 85: 670–685.Google Scholar