Cross-Association Analysis of Barren Measures Lithologies and Microfacies, Talcher Coalfield, Odisha
Cross-association analysis of lithologies and microfacies of two borehole sections of the Barren Measures Formation, Talcher coalfield situated 12 km apart show strikingly dissimilar results. In case of lithologies, one-to-one correlation becomes significant, which suggests continuity of the formation throughout the Barren Measures Formation and prevalence of braided stream depositional environment. However, lack of significant correlation of microfacies suggests existence of different sub-environments at different parts of the Barren Measures Formation during each stage of sedimentation. When channel facies were laid down at one place, homotaxial leeve, floodplain and swamp facies were deposited elsewhere.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davis, J. C. (2002) Statistics and data analysis in geology. John Wiley and Sons, 639p.Google Scholar
- Hota, R.N. (2000) Quantitative stratigraphic correlation- A case study from two borehole sections of Barakar Formation, Talchir coalfield, Orissa. Jour. Geol. Soc. India, v.56, pp.517–524.Google Scholar
- Krumbein, W.C. and Sloss, L.L. (1963) Stratigraphy and sedimentation, W. H. Freeman and Co., California, 497p.Google Scholar
- Raja Rao, C. S. (1982) Coal resources of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and Maharashtra. Bull. Geol. Surv. India, v.45, pp.41–52.Google Scholar
- Rao, C.G., Raj, D. and Singh, S.K. (1985) Quantitative stratigraphic correlation by cross-association analysis of microfacies succession from two measured carbonate sections from the sub-Himalaya of north-west India. Jour. Ind. Asso. Sedimen., v.5, pp.84–91.Google Scholar
- Saqqa, W.A. and Al Salah, M.F. (2006) On the use of geostatistical cross association method for lithostratigraphical correlation. Jour. Data Sci., v.4, pp.1–20.Google Scholar