Uniform Stability of Linear Evolution Equations with Applications to Parallel Transports
- 38 Downloads
I prove the bistability of linear evolution equations \(x'=A(t)x\) in a Banach space E, where the operator-valued function A is of the form \(A(t)=f'(t)G(t,f(t))\) for a binary operator-valued function G and a scalar function f. The constant that bounds the solutions of the equation is computed explicitly; it is independent of f, in a sense. Two geometric applications of the stability result are presented. Firstly, I show that the parallel transport along a curve \(\gamma \) in a manifold, with respect to some linear connection, is bounded in terms of the length of the projection of \(\gamma \) to a manifold of one dimension lower. Secondly, I prove an extendability result for parallel sections in vector bundles, thus answering a question by Antonio J. Di Scala.
KeywordsParallel transport Linear evolution equation Linear differential equation Bistability Uniform stability Bounded solutions
Mathematics Subject ClassificationPrimary 34G10 47D06 Secondary 53B05
I simply must thank Antonio J. Di Scala, for he keeps bringing beautiful mathematics to people (like me).
- 1.Adrianova, L.Ya.: Introduction to linear systems of differential equations. In: Translations of Mathematical Monographs, vol. 146, pp. x+204. American Mathematical Society, Providence (1995). ISBN: 0-8218-0328-XGoogle Scholar
- 3.Dalec’kii, J.L., Krein, M.G.: Stability of solutions of differential equations in Banach space. In: Translations of Mathematical Monographs, vol. 43, pp. vi+386. American Mathematical Society, Providence (1974)Google Scholar
- 4.Hartman, P.: Ordinary differential equations. In: Classics in Applied Mathematics, vol. 38, pp. xx+612. Birkhäuser, Boston (2002). Corrected reprint of the second (1982) edition. [MR0658490 (83e:34002)]. With a foreword by Peter Bates. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Philadelphia (2002). doi: 10.1137/1.9780898719222. ISBN: 0-89871-510-5
- 8.Leoni, G.: A first course in Sobolev spaces. In: Graduate Studies in Mathematics, vol. 105, pp. xvi+607. American Mathematical Society, Providence (2009). ISBN: 978-0-8218-4768-8Google Scholar
- 10.Vilms, J.: Connections on tangent bundles. J. Differ. Geom. 1, 235–243 (1967). ISSN: 0022-040XGoogle Scholar