Genome-wide identification and expression of eight fatty acid desaturase genes, and the fatty acid profile, in the marine rotifer Brachionus koreanus fed the alga Tetraselmis suecica
Fatty acid desaturases catalyze the formation of a C=C double bond from a C–C single bond in fatty acids, leading to diversification of the fatty acid pool. In this study, we identified the fatty acid desaturase genes in the monogonont marine rotifer Brachionus koreanus, measured the messenger RNA (mRNA) expression, and quantified fatty acid composition under feeding with the alga Tetraselmis suecica. Eight fatty acid desaturase genes were identified and classified by phylogenetic analysis. Fatty acid desaturases in the rotifer B. koreanus were categorized into two Δ4 desaturases, five Δ5/6 desaturases, and one Δ9 desaturase. mRNA expression of B. koreanus under the alga T. suecica-fed condition clearly indicated that transcriptional levels of desaturase genes were increased compared to the non-T. suecica-fed group. Also, the distribution of fatty acids of B. koreanus fed T. suecica was more balanced compared to that of T. suecica. These results provide a better understanding of the role of fatty acid desaturases in B. koreanus fed the alga T. suecica.
KeywordsFatty acid desaturase Tandem duplication Unsaturated fatty acid Phylogenetic analysis
We thank two anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments that improved the manuscript. This work was supported by a grant from the National Research Foundation (2018R1D1A1B07050654) to Heum Gi Park.
- Hama T, Handa N (1987) Pattern of organic matter production by natural phytoplankton population in a eutrophic lake. I. Intracellular products. Arch Hydrobiol 109:107–120Google Scholar
- Kim H-S, Han J, Kim H-J, Hagiwara A, Lee J-S (2017) Identification of 28 cytochrome P450 genes from the transcriptome of the marine rotifer Brachionus plicatilis and analysis of their expression. Comp Biochem Physiol D 23:1–7Google Scholar
- Lee B-Y, Kim H-S, Hwang D-S, Won E-J, Choi B-S, Choi I-Y, Park HG, Rhee J-S, Lee J-S (2015) Whole transcriptome analysis of the monogonont rotifer Brachionus koreanus provides molecular resources for developing biomarkers of carbohydrate metabolism. Comp Biochem Physiol D 23:33–41Google Scholar
- Lee M-C, Puthumana J, Lee S-H, Kang H-M, Park JC, Jeong C-B, Han J, Hwang D-S, Seo JS, Park HG, Om A-S, Lee J-S (2016b) BDE-47 induces oxidative stress, activates MAPK signaling pathway, and elevates de novo lipogenesis in the copepod Paracyclopina nana. Aquat Toxicol 181:104–112CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mills S, Alcántara-Rodríguez JA, Ciros-Pérez J, Gómez A, Hagiwara A, Galindo K, Jersabek CD, Malekzadeh-Viayeh R, Leasi F, Lee J-S, Mark Welch DB, Papakostas S, Riss S, Segers H, Serra M, Shiel R, Smolak R, Snell TW, Stelzer C-P, Tang CQ, Wallace RL, Fontaneto D, Walsh EJ (2017) Fifteen species in one: deciphering the Brachionus plicatilis species complex (Rotifera, Monogononta) through DNA taxonomy. Hydrobiologia 796:39–58CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Park JC, Kim D-H, Lee M-C, Han J, Kim H-J, Hagiwara A, Hwang U-K, Park H-G, Lee J-S (2018) Genome-wide identification of the entire 90 glutathione S-transferase (GST) subfamily genes in four rotifer Brachionus species and transcriptional modulation in response to endocrine disrupting chemicals. Comp Biochem Physiol D 28:183–195Google Scholar
- Segers H (2007) Annotated checklist of the rotifers (phylum Rotifera), with notes on nomenclature, taxonomy and distribution. Zootaxa 1564:1–104Google Scholar
- Surm JM, Toledo TM, Prentis PJ, Pavasovic A (2018) Insights into the phylogenetic and molecular evolutionary histories of Fad and Elovl gene families in Actiniaria. Ecol Evol 00:1–13Google Scholar
- Thiede MA, Ozols J, Strittmatter P (1986) Construction and sequence of cDNA for rat liver stearyl coenzyme A desaturase. J Biol Chem 261:13230–13235Google Scholar
- Wallace RL, Nogrady T, Snell TW, Ricci C (2006) Rotifera: biology, ecology and systematics (2nd ed.). Kenobi Productions, Belgium, Backhuys, the NetherlandsGoogle Scholar