Virtual Reality-based Control of Robotic Endoscope in Laparoscopic Surgery
- 8 Downloads
Robotic laparoscopic surgery has provided various benefits, but during the surgery, the surgeons are experiencing uncomfortable positioning issue which leads to neck pain and back pain. So, for an enhanced & efficient ergonomic robot-assisted surgery, a novel virtual reality (VR)-based endoscope control system (ECS) is proposed in this research. The overall system in this study is composed of a da Vinci research kit (dVRK), 4-degree-of-freedom ECS, three-dimensional endoscope, and VR headset with a built-in attitude and heading reference system (AHRS) module. Also, the proposed VR headset could replace a stereo viewer in the dVRK which could reduce the size of surgical robot system. Furthermore, the three dimensional endoscope could be controlled by a built-in AHRS module in the VR headset. The proposed system has been verified with four novice volunteers. They showed rapid learning through the peg-transfer task. Additionally, a collision avoidance strategy for VR-based ECS control was developed and verified by performing computer-based simulations. The ergonomic VR-based ECS proposed in this research could greatly reduce surgeon’s pains in both neck and back which potentially reduce surgeon’s workload during the surgery.
KeywordsCollision avoidance dVRK ergonomic system robot-assisted surgery virtual reality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. T. Ng and P. C. Tam, “Current status of robot-assisted surgery,” Hong Kong Medical Journal, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 241–250, May 2014.Google Scholar
- T. E. Ahlering, D. Sharecky, D. Lee, and R. V. Clayman, “Successful transfer of open surgical skills to a laparoscopic environment using a robotic interface: initial experience with laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 1738–1741, November 2003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- V. Ficarra, G. Novara, W. Artibani, A. Cestari, A. Galfano, M. Graefen, G. Guazzoni, B. Guillonneau, M. Menon, F. Montorsi, V. Patel, J. Rassweiler, and H. Van Poppel, “Retropubic, Laparoscopic, and Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy: A system review and cumulative analysis of comparative studies,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1037–1063, May 2009.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- J. Finkelstein, E. Eckersberger, H. Sadri, S. S. Taneja, H. Lepor, and B. Djavan, “Open versus laparoscopic versus robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy: The European and US experience,” Reviews in Urology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 2010.Google Scholar
- J. B. Gomez, A. Ceballos, F. Prieto, and T. Redarce, “Mouth gesture and voice command based robot command interface,” Proc. of the Conf. 2009 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), July 2009.Google Scholar
- M. Kim, C. Lee, W. Park, Y. S. Suh, H. K. Yang, H. J. Kim, and S. Kim, “A development of assistant surgical robot system based on surgical operation-by-wire and hands-on-throttle-and-stick,” Biomedical Engineering Online, vol. 15, no. 58, May 2016.Google Scholar
- M. Kim, C. Lee, N. Hong, Y. J. Kim, and S. Kim, “Development of stereo endoscope system with its innovative master interface for continuous surgical operation,” Biomedical Engineering Online, vol. 16, no. 81, pp. 1–16, June 2017.Google Scholar
- T. Kawai, M. Fukunish, A. Nishikawa, Y. Nishizawa, and T. Nakamura, “Hands-free interface for surgical procedures based on foot movement patterns,” Proc. of the 36th Conf. Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 345–348, November 2014.Google Scholar
- Oculus VR, “Initialization and Sensor Enumeration,” https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dgsensor/, Accessed May 29, 2018.
- Y. Jo, Y. J. Kim, H.-M. Moon, and S. Kim, “Development of Virtual Reality-Vision System in Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery,” Proc. of the 18th Conf. International Conference on Control, Automation and System, pp. 1708–1712, 2018.Google Scholar
- K. Zinchenko, O. Komarov, and K. T. Song, “Virtual reality control of a robotic camera holder for minimally invasive surgery,” Proc. of the 11th Conf. Asian Control Conference (ICROS), pp. 970–975, February 2017.Google Scholar
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery, “FLS manual skills written instructions and performance guideline,” https://www.unmc.edu/surgery/residencies-fellowships/mis-fellowships/training/manual-skills-guidelines-for-cd.pdf, Accessed January 2019.
- Y. J. Kim, H. S. Nam, W. H. Lee, H. G. Seo, J.-H. Leigh, B.-M. Oh, M. S. Bang, S. Kim, “Vision-aided brain-machine interface training system for robotic arm control and clinical application on two patients with cervical spinal cord injury,” BioMedical Engineering Online, vol. 18, no. 14, February 2019.Google Scholar
- Y. Qiu, Z. Yan, Y. Miao, and Z. Du, “Real-time collision avoidance algorithm for surgical robot based on OBB intersection test,” Proc. of the 19th Conf. International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Applications, pp. 195–205, August 2017.Google Scholar