Design and analysis of a modular learning based cross-coupled control algorithm for multi-axis precision positioning systems
Increasing demand for micro/nano-technology related equipment resulted in growing interest for precision positioning systems. In this paper a modular controller combining cross-coupled control and iterative learning control approaches to improve contour and tracking accuracy at the same time is presented. Instead of using the standard error estimation technique, a computationally efficient and modular contour error estimation technique is used. The new controller is more suitable for tracking arbitrary nonlinear contours and easier to implement to multi-axis systems. Stability and convergence analysis for the proposed controller is presented with the necessary conditions. Effectiveness of the control design is verified with simulations and experiments on a two-axis positioning system. The resulting positioning system achieves nanometer level contouring and tracking performance.
KeywordsCross-coupled control iterative learning mechatronic modularity nano-positioning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L. Qing, W. Tai-yong, D. Ying-chuan, J. Yong-xiang, and L. Bo, “Applications of position controller for cnc machines based on state observer and cross-coupled controller,” Proc. of International Conference on Computer Mechatronics, Control and Electronic Engineering (CMCE), pp. 593–596, 2010. [click]Google Scholar
- M. Tomizuka, “Friction compensator for feed drive systems consisting of ball screw and linear ball guide,” Proc. of the 35th International MATADOR Conference, pp. 311–314, 2007. [click]Google Scholar
- L. Wang, S. Lin, and H. Zeng, “Precision contour control of XY table based on LuGre model friction compensation,” Proc. of 2nd International Conference on Intelligent Control and Information Processing (ICI-CIP), pp. 1124–1128, 2011. [click]Google Scholar
- Z. R. Novakovic, The Principle of Self Support in Control Systems Amsterdam, Elsevier, Netherlands, vol. 8, 1992. [click]Google Scholar
- M. Naumovic and M. Stojic, “Design of the observer based cross-coupled positioning servo drives,” Proc. of the IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, ISIE’ 97, vol. 2, 1997. [click]Google Scholar
- K. L. Barton and A. G. Alleyne, “Cross-coupled ilc for improved precision motion control: design and implementation,” Proc. of the American Control Conference, pp. 5496–5502, 2007. [click]Google Scholar
- H. S. Li, X. Zhou, and Y. Chen, “Iterative learning control for cross-coupled contour motion systems,” Proc. of IEEE International Conference Mechatronics and Automation,, vol. 3, pp. 1468–1472, 2005. [click]Google Scholar
- N. Gecer-Ulu, E. Ulu, and M. Cakmakci, “Learning based cross-coupled control for multi-axis high precision positioning systems,” Proc. ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conf. (DSCC 2012), Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Oct 2012. [click]Google Scholar
- E. Ulu, N. Gecer Ulu, and M. Cakmakci, “Development and Validation of an Adaptive Method to Generate High-Resolution Quadrature Encoder Signals,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, vol. 136, no. 3, May 2014. [click]Google Scholar
- S. S. Yeh and P. L. Hsu, “Theory and applications of the robust cross-coupled control design,” Proc. of the American Control Conference, pp. 791–795, 1997. [click]Google Scholar