Mathematical modeling of clinical engineering approach to evaluate the quality of patient care
- 13 Downloads
At present, the patient care delivery system (PCDS) in a hospital/medical institute/clinic is absolutely medical technology-dependent and this tendency is found to increase day by day. To ensure the quality of patient care (QPC) appropriate implementation of the patient care technology management system (PCTMS) is necessary. Unfortunately, it is found to be absent in the healthcare delivery system in most of the countries in the world. The situation is very much severe, particularly, in medium- and low-income countries like Malaysia, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc. The opposite scenario is found in high-income countries, specifically, in Japan where QPC has been improved significantly by adopting the clinical engineering approach (CEA) in their PCDS. Up to now, QPC is determined based on prediction as there are no mathematical ways to evaluate it properly. In this study, we for the first time, propose a mathematical model to evaluate the QPC quantitatively based on feedback control analogy taking into account of CEA in PCTMS, particularly, for clinical and surgical equipment. The model consists of three subsections: the clinical engineering department (CED), PCTMS, and health care engineering directorate (HCED). The correlation among the subsections and their performance parameters are defined and standardized. Multiple linear regression method is applied to derive the least square normal equations for each of the subsections and then the regression coefficients are solved by the standard data taken from 1000 beds hospitals of different countries. The model is applied to reveal the present status of QPC for 18 different countries including high-, middle-, and low-income countries of the world. The results obtained from the model demonstrate that the present status of QPC in Japan is 84.69% and in Pakistan, it is only 0.20%. This huge discrepancy is identified to be caused by the inclusion of CEA in PCDS of Japan. The proposed model can be applied to evaluate the QPC of a hospital/in a country and hence to take necessary steps accordingly for establishing the proposed research methodology. It is to be mentioned here that the proposed model cannot be applied to evaluate the QPC in some countries like Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, etc. due to the unavailability of data related to the model parameters.
KeywordsCED PCDS PCTMS QPC Modern hospital Medical and surgical equipment patient safety and cost-effective care
This research work was partially supported by CASR grants, Khulna University of Engineering & Technology (KUET), Khulna-9203, Bangladesh. We acknowledged this research work to Dept. of BME, KUET, Bangladesh; NEMEMW & TC, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Dhaka, Bangladesh; Hospitals of Bangladesh for their supports related to data collection that greatly improved the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 1.Powell-Cope G, Nelson AL, Patterson ES, Patient Safety and Quality: An Evidence-Based Handbook for Nurses, Chapter 50, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), 2008, US Publications.Google Scholar
- 2.Six Domains of Health Care Quality. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Available at: https://www.ahrq.gov/talkingquality/measures/six-domains.html
- 4.Clinical engineering (2018). Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_engineering
- 5.Hossain MA, Rahman AKM, Rahman MR, Islam MR, and Ahmad M, Role of clinical engineering to reduce patient's risk factors in life support ventilator. 2015 2nd International Conference on Electrical Information and Communication Technologies (EICT), Khulna, 2015, pp. 173–177. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/EICT.2015.7391941.
- 6.Definition of Patient Safety Patient. Institute of Medicine (IOM), 2016. https://www.theabpm.org/wp-content/themes/abpm-public-site/docs/Approvedpatientsafetycourse2016.pdf
- 7.Hossain MA, Ahmad M, Islam MR, Rashid MA. Cost-effective proposal to produce clinical engineering professional to sustain the health care services of developing countries such as Bangladesh International. Journal of Engineering Trends &Technology. 2015;30(7):351–5. https://doi.org/10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V30P265.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Stone V. Human resources for medical devices –The role of biomedical engineers. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2017.Google Scholar
- 9.Igeta H. The Role of Clinical Engineers in JAPAN - A Case of ASO Iizuka Hospital. Denver: AAMI Conference & Expo; 2015.Google Scholar
- 10.Bremer M, 2012. Multiple Linear Regressions. Published in the Journal “Math 261A - Spring 2012”.pp −18-36. Link: available at www.mezeylab.cb.bscb.cornell.edu supplement 5 - multiple regressions.
- 12.Grinder S. Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005 - HHS Guidance Regarding Patient Safety Work Product and Providers’ External Obligations, 2016; Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), pp. 32655–32660.Google Scholar
- 13.Global Clinical Engineering Day live stream on October 21st, 2018. Available at the link: https://live.polyv.cn/watch/244330.
- 14.Gurses AP, Doyle PA. Medical Devices in the “Wild”, 2014. Online publication in AHRQ Patient Safety Network.Google Scholar
- 16.Temple-Bird C. How to Organize a System of Healthcare Technology Management. Healthcare Technology Managementm, 2015. Guide 1, Lewes.Google Scholar
- 18.European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering & Science (EAMBES) (2013). Link: https://esbiomech.org/affiliated-societies/european-alliance-for-medical-and-biological-engineering-science-eambes.
- 19.A Guide to Clinical Engineering Certification - American College of Clinical Engineering, 2017. Enhancing Patient Safety. (2001) The Role of Clinical Engineering, a white paper prepared by the American College of Clinical Engineering. https://accenet.org/Pages/Default.aspx
- 20.What is a Regulatory Authority? - Definition from safeopedia. 2018. Link: https://www.safeopedia.com/definition/128/regulatory-authority-occupational-health-and-safety
- 21.Joseph D et al, Clinical Engineering Hand Book, 1st Edition. Published in CRC Press, 2004.Google Scholar
- 22.Health Bulletin, DGHS, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Bangladesh, 2016.Google Scholar
- 23.Directorates and other offices under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Link available at: www.mohfw.gov.bd
- 24.Clinical Engineering Bank. Staffs for CE service Structures. Link: A web-based data; 2018. https://www.clinicalengineeringbank.com/cefunctions.htm Google Scholar
- 25.Fennigkoh L, Smith B. Clinical equipment management. JCAHO Plant, Technology & Safely Management Series. 1989;2:5–14.Google Scholar
- 26.Williams I. J. et al. (1967) Feedback and control system. Schaum's online Proceedings, series McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- 27.Evans GA (2009) Clinical Engineering Staffing Models. WakeMed Health & Hospitals, Raleigh. http://www.24x7mag.com/2009/03/clinical-engineering-staffing-models
- 29.Iadanza E. IFMBE/Clinical Engineering Division projects for the advancement of the profession of Clinical Engineering. In: Eskola H, Väisänen O, Viik J, Hyttinen J, editors. EMBEC & NBC 2017. EMBEC 2017, NBC 2017. IFMBE Proceedings, vol. 65. Singapore: Springer; 2018.Google Scholar
- 30.Hossain MA, Ahmad M, Islam MR, Hossain MD, Rahman AKM, Islam S, et al. Clinical engineering and healthcare delivery performance measurement: A basic model of clinical engineering department for 250-bed hospital in Bangladesh. Bangladesh: Proceeding in 2016 International Conference on Medical Engineering, Health Informatics, and Technology (MediTec); 2016. p. 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1109/MEDITEC.2016.7835381.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Multiple Linear Regression Analysis.Google Scholar
- 32.Enhancing Patient Safety. The Role of Clinical Engineering, a white paper prepared by the American College of Clinical Engineering, 2001. https://accenet.org/Pages/Default.aspx.
- 34.Kline J. Vice President of Client Services, Patient Care Technology Systems, 2019. Link available at: https://www.givainc.com/docs/Case%20Study%20-%20Giva%20&%20PCTS.
- 36.Dickey DM. A Clinical Engineer’s Approach to CMS Compliance, 2015. Link available at https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org.
- 37.Clinical Engineering Technologists: Link: https://www.kitasato-u.ac.jp/ahs/english/ce.html
- 38.Biomedical equipment technician. Link available at: http://bmy.tbmyo.marmara.edu.tr/en/biomedical-equipment-technician/
- 40.Yousry AM, Ouda BK, Eldeib A. An integrated evaluation for the performance of clinical engineering department. 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. 2014, EMBC 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/EMBC.2014.6944281.
- 42.American Society of Healthcare Engineering. http://www.ashe.org/. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- 43.Mitchell PH, Lang NM. Framing the problem of measuring and improving healthcare quality: has the Quality Health Outcomes Model been useful. Med Care. 2004;42(II):4–11.Google Scholar
- 44.Hossain MA, Ahmad M, Yusuf MSU. Clinical engineering professional generation by interfacing public universities and health sectors of Bangladesh. 9th International Forum on Strategic Technology (IFOST), 2014.Google Scholar