Application of a systems approach to study developmental gene regulation
- 142 Downloads
All cells in a multicellular organism contain the same genome, yet different cell types express different sets of genes. Recent advances in high throughput genomic technologies have opened up new opportunities to understand the gene regulatory network in diverse cell types in a genome-wide manner. Here, I discuss recent advances in experimental and computational approaches for the study of gene regulation in embryonic development from a systems perspective. This review is written for computational biologists who have an interest in studying developmental gene regulation through integrative analysis of gene expression, chromatin landscape, and signaling pathways. I highlight the utility of publicly available data and tools, as well as some common analysis approaches.
KeywordsDevelopmental signaling Gene regulatory network Computational biophysics ChIP-seq Histone modification Epigenomics
This work is partially supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Common Fund through National Institute of Biomedical Imagining and Bioengineering Grant RL9EB008539.
Conflict of interest
The author does not have any conflict of interest.
- Contrino S, Smith RN, Butano D et al (2011) modMine: flexible access to modENCODE data. Nucleic Acids Res. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkr921
- Davidson EH (2006) The regulatory genome: gene regulatory networks in development and evolution, 1st ed. Academic, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Kirouac DC, Ito C, Csaszar E et al (2010) Dynamic interaction networks in a hierarchically organized tissue. Mol Syst Biol. doi: 10.1038/msb.2010.71
- Nielsen R, Pedersen TÅ, Hagenbeek D et al (2008) Genome-wide profiling of PPARγ:RXR and RNA polymerase II occupancy reveals temporal activation of distinct metabolic pathways and changes in RXR dimer composition during adipogenesis. Genes Dev 22:2953–2967. doi: 10.1101/gad.501108 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Peter IS, Davidson EH (2011) A gene regulatory network controlling the embryonic specification of endoderm. Nature. doi: 10.1038/nature10100
- Song L, Crawford GE (2010) DNase-Seq: a high-resolution technique for mapping active gene regulatory elements across the genome from mammalian cells. Cold Spring Harb Protoc 2010:pdb.prot5384. doi: 10.1101/pdb.prot5384
- Taylor J, Schenck I, Blankenberg D, Nekrutenko A (2007) Using galaxy to perform large-scale interactive data analyses. Curr Protoc Bioinforma Chapter 10:Unit 10.5. doi: 10.1002/0471250953.bi1005s19
- Thorvaldsdóttir H, Robinson JT, Mesirov JP (2012) Integrative Genomics Viewer (IGV): high-performance genomics data visualization and exploration. Brief Bioinform. doi: 10.1093/bib/bbs017