Developing a denoising filter for electron microscopy and tomography data in the cloud
The low radiation conditions and the predominantly phase-object image formation of cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) result in extremely high noise levels and low contrast in the recorded micrographs. The process of single particle or tomographic 3D reconstruction does not completely eliminate this noise and is even capable of introducing new sources of noise during alignment or when correcting for instrument parameters. The recently developed Digital Paths Supervised Variance (DPSV) denoising filter uses local variance information to control regional noise in a robust and adaptive manner. The performance of the DPSV filter was evaluated in this review qualitatively and quantitatively using simulated and experimental data from cryo-EM and tomography in two and three dimensions. We also assessed the benefit of filtering experimental reconstructions for visualization purposes and for enhancing the accuracy of feature detection. The DPSV filter eliminates high-frequency noise artifacts (density gaps), which would normally preclude the accurate segmentation of tomography reconstructions or the detection of alpha-helices in single-particle reconstructions. This collaborative software development project was carried out entirely by virtual interactions among the authors using publicly available development and file sharing tools.
Keywordscryo-EM Digital paths Filtering Helix detection Supervised classification Remote collaboration
- Asana (2012) Asana shared task list. http://asana.com, April 2012
- Dropbox (2012) Dropbox file sharing service. https://www.dropbox.com, April 2012.
- Glazman D (2012) Nvu web authoring system. http://net2.com/nvu, April 2012
- GNU Savannah (2012) Concurrent Versions System. http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/cvs, April 2012
- Google (2012) Google Code. http://code.google.com, April 2012
- OpenMP Architecture Review Board (2012) Open multi-processing API specification for parallel programming. http://openmp.org, April 2012
- Oracle (2012) VirtualBox virtualization product. https://www.virtualbox.org, April 2012
- Smolka B (2008) Peer group filter for impulsive noise removal in color images. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 27:699–707Google Scholar
- Szczepanski M (2008) Fast digital approach spatio-temporal filter. Zesz Nauk Politech Slask, ser Autom 150:207–222Google Scholar