Co-occurrence of mycotoxins in maize food and maize-based feed from small-scale farms in Brazil: a pilot study
- 74 Downloads
A limited survey was conducted to assess the co-occurrence of aflatoxins (AF) B1, B2, G1, and G2; fumonisins (FB) B1 and B2; ochratoxin A (OTA); zearalenone (ZEN); and deoxynivalenol (DON) in maize food (N = 26) and animal feed (N = 45) collected from 21 small-scale farms from the states of São Paulo (SP) and Santa Catarina (SC), Brazil. Samples evaluated were maize meal and maize flour for human consumption available in the farm households, and maize-based feed intended for broiler chicks, laying hens, and dairy cows. Analyses of mycotoxins were performed by ultra-performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry. The median levels of mycotoxins found in maize food were 2.5 μg/kg (total AF), 120 μg/kg (total FB), 13 μg/kg (ZEN), and 57 μg/kg (DON). All values were below the Brazilian tolerance limits, except for total FB in one sample of maize flour. In feed samples, median levels of total AF, total FB, ZEN, and DON were 100 μg/kg, 680 μg/kg, 160 μg/kg, and 200 μg/kg, respectively. The co-occurrence of two or more mycotoxins was confirmed in 35% and 51% of maize food and feed, respectively. Results indicate a low human exposure to mycotoxins in the small-scale farms evaluated and a higher exposure of farm animals to mycotoxins in the feed.
KeywordsMycotoxins Aflatoxins Ochratoxin A Fusariotoxins Occurrence Maize Feed
The authors thank the Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq), grant no. 400649/2014-4, for financial support and fellowships. This study was financed in part by the Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior–Brasil (CAPES), Finance Code 001.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
- Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária (2011) Resolução RDC n° 7, de 18 de fevereiro de 2011. Diário Oficial da União 72–73Google Scholar
- Bordin K, Rottinghaus GE, Landers BR, Ledoux DR, Kobashigawa E, Corassin CH, Oliveira CAF (2015) Evaluation of fumonisin exposure by determination of fumonisin B1 in human hair and in Brazilian corn products. Food Control 53:67–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2015.01.011 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Diaz DE (2005) The mycotoxin blue book. Nottingham University Press, NottinghamGoogle Scholar
- European Communities (2002) Directive 2002/32/EC of the European Parliament and of the council of 7 May 2002 on undesirable substances in animal feed. Off J Eur Communities L140:10Google Scholar
- European Commission (2006a) Commission regulation 2006/401/EC of 23 February 2006, laying down the methods of sampling and analysis for the official control of the levels of mycotoxins in foodstuffs. Off J Eur Union L70:12–34Google Scholar
- European Commission (2006b) Commission recommendation 2006/576/EC of 17 August 2006 on the presence of deoxynivalenol, zearalenone, ochratoxin A, T-2 and HT-2 and fumonisins in products intended for animal feeding. Off J Eur Union L229:7–9Google Scholar
- Ministério da Agricultura (1988) Portaria n° 07, de 09 de Novembro de 1988. Diário Oficial da União 21.968Google Scholar
- Oliveira CAF, Corassin CH, Corrêa B, Oswald IP (2014) Animal health: mycotoxins. In: Van Alfen N (ed) Encyclopedia of agriculture and food systems. Academic Press, London, pp 358–377. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-52512-3.00200-X CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oliveira GR, Ribeiro JM, Fraga ME, Cavaglieri LR, Direito GM, Keller KM, Rosa CAR (2006) Mycobiota in poultry feeds and natural occurrence of aflatoxins, fumonisins and zearalenone in the Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil. Mycopathologia 162:355–362. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-006-0070-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Souza MDLM, Sulyok M, Freitas-Silva O, Costa SS, Brabet C, Machinski M, Sekiyama BL, Vargas EA, Krska R, Schuhmacher R (2013) Cooccurrence of mycotoxins in maize and poultry feeds from Brazil by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. Sci World J Article ID:427369. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/427369
- Sulyok M, Krska R, Schuhmacher R (2007) A liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometric multi-mycotoxin method for the quantification of 87 analytes and its application to semi-quantitative screening of moldy food samples. Anal Bioanal Chem 389:1505–1523. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-007-1542-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar