Short Stroke Control Model for Improving Width Precision at Head and Tail of Slab in Hot Vertical–Horizontal Rolling Process
- 13 Downloads
The objectives of this study were to analyze the width changes about the head and tail ends of the slab occurring during vertical–horizontal rolling using finite element (FE) analysis, and to derive an appropriate short stroke control (SSC) model for vertical–horizontal rolling based on the results of analyses. The relationship between the process variables and slab deformation about the head and tail ends, including width shrinkage and length of width shrinkage, was derived using the linear regression method. From considering the amount of slab deformation, an advanced SSC model for vertical–horizontal rolling process has been developed. The proposed SSC model was verified via an FE simulation. Vertical rolling simulations were performed using the roll gap that was calculated via the respective SSC model for each steel slab. Horizontal rolling simulations were also conducted. Cropping lengths about the head and tail ends that were regulated by width control standards of the specific work site were compared.
KeywordsShort stroke control Hot vertical–horizontal rolling Sizing press Cropping length Automatic width control
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) Grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP; Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning) (No. 2017R1C1B5017016).
- 1.Lee, K. H., Han, J. Q., Park, J. H., Kim, B. M., & Ko, D. C. (2015). Prediction and control of front-end curvature in hot finish rolling process. Advances in Mechanical Engineering,7(11), 1–10.Google Scholar
- 3.Chun, M. S., Cheong, J. S., An, I. T., & Moon, Y. H. (2003). Finite element analysis of slab deformation under the width reduction in hot strip mill. Transactions of Materials Processing,17(7), 668–674.Google Scholar
- 7.Tan, S. B., Li, L., & Liu, J. C. (2011). Research on the gap setting model of short stroke control system in hot edge rolling. In 2011 Chinese control and decision conference (pp. 4126–4128).Google Scholar
- 11.Jeon, J. B. (2017). Study for improving width precision at the head and tail of slab in hot vertical–horizontal rolling. MD Thesis, Pusan National University, South Korea.Google Scholar
- 13.Rasti, J., Najafizadeg, A., & Meratian, M. (2011). Correcting the stress-strain curve in hot compression test using finite element analysis and Taguchi method. International Journal of Iron & Steel Society of Iran,8(1), 26–33.Google Scholar