A simplified prediction method for the local buckling load of cylindrical tubes
- 199 Downloads
Local buckling is as important as column buckling, substantially, when a thin-walled tube is applied to a structural part for guaranteeing safety design. This paper newly proposes an analytic model for predicting local buckling since a conventional Plantema equation is not able to predict the local buckling load, accurately, due to perfectly plastic assumption in the tube material. The proposed analytic model adopts a plastic flow of tube material to take into consideration of strain hardening, sequentially, which has been validated with experimental and numerical buckling loads when applying a thin-walled cylindrical tube. Remarkably, it shows good agreement with numerical and experimental buckling load compared with the conventional Plantema equation.
KeywordsCollapse Cylindrical tube Local buckling Plantema equation
critical load for local buckling
critical stress for local buckling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Batdorf, S. B., “A Simplified Method of Elastic-Stability Analysis for Thin Cylindrical Shells,” National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, Report No. NACA-TR-874, 1947.Google Scholar
- 4.Plantema, F. J., “Collapsing Stresses of Circular Cylinders and Round Tubes,” Nationaal Luchtvaartlaboratorium, 1947.Google Scholar
- 8.Jones, N., “Structural Impact,” Cambridge University Press, pp. 385–488, 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.Cowper, G. R. and Symonds, P. S., “Strain-Hardening and Strain-Rate Effects in the Impact Loading of Cantilever Beams,” Division of Applied Mathematics, Report No. 28, 1957.Google Scholar
- 12.Ziemian, R. D., “Guide to Stability Design Criteria for Metal Structures,” John Wiley & Sons, 6th Ed., p. 660, 2010.Google Scholar
- 13.Tuazon, B. J., Bae, K.-O., Lee, S.-H., and Shin, H.-S., “Integration of a New Data Acquisition/Processing Scheme in SHPB Test and Characterization of the Dynamic Material Properties of High-Strength Steels using the Optional Form of Johnson-Cook Model,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 28, No. 9, pp. 3561–3568, 2014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Kyriakides, S. and Corona, E., “Mechanics of Offshore Pipelines: Volume 1 Buckling and Collapse,” Elsevier, p. 287, 2007.Google Scholar