Wear Tribo-Performances of Laser Cladding Colmonoy-6 and Stellite-6 Micron Layers on Stainless Steel 304 Using Yb:YAG Disk Laser
- 50 Downloads
Stainless steel material has been widely used in aeronautical, chemical and nuclear industries due to good corrosion resistance. However, the material has less hardness and wear resistance. In this study, two various depositions namely Colmonoy-6 and Stellite-6 have produced on 304 Stainless steel. Besides, the coating was examined to reveal their metallurgical, mechanical and tribological properties. In addition, wear mechanism, wear debris and roughness averages were studied. The outcomes indicate that both coatings show with dendrite structure due to rapid cooling rates. Hardness of the clad surface has improved than substrate material. The results of friction coefficient of specimen with Colmonoy-6 is lower than that of specimens Stellite-6 and substrate. Also, wear resistance of Colmonoy-6 has increased 49 times than substrate sample, which reveals that Colmonoy-6 laser cladding plays role on wear resistance. Adhesive and abrasive are the major wear mechanisms in the present study.
KeywordsStainless steel 304 Laser cladding XRD Microstructure Hardness Wear performance Wear debris Roughness
Author’s wishes to thank Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), Taiwan (Republic of China) for providing financial support to carry out this research work.
- 1.M.K. Kumar, R. Saravanan, R. Sellamuthu, V. Narayanan, Mater. Today: Proc. 5, 7571 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.J.R. Davis, Surface Engineering for Corrosion and Wear Resistance (ASM International, Cleveland, 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.J.R. Davis, Handbook of Thermal Spray Technology (ASM International, Cleveland, 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.J.C. Ion, Laser Processing of Engineering Materials: Principles, Procedure and Industrial Application (Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.N. Jeyaprakash, M. Duraiselvam, R. Raju, Arch. Metall. Mater. 63, 1303 (2018)Google Scholar
- 24.Standard Test Method for Wear Testing with a Pin-on-Disk Apparatus, ASTM Standard, 2010, G: 99-05Google Scholar
- 36.N. Jeyaprakash, M. Duraiselvam, S.V. Aditya, Surf. Rev. Lett. 26, 1950009 (2019)Google Scholar