Investigation of Weld Corrosion Effects on the Stress Behavior of a Welded Joint Pipe Using Numerical Simulations
- 6 Downloads
In this paper, the influence of weld corrosion on the mechanical behavior of a welded joint pipeline was investigated using corrosion and mechanical simulations simultaneously. In the corrosion simulation, the modeling results (i.e., the corrosion potential and current density) revealed that the welded joint is preferentially corroded and the corrosion rate is higher in the outside environment due to the severe corrosion factors. The increase in corrosion degradation according to the operation time increases the stress concentration on the welded joint, indicating that the failure risk of the welded joint is increased with increasing corrosion degradation. These results can be used to evaluate the lifetime of welded joints exposed to corrosion and suggest guidelines for the maintenance of structures.
KeywordsLow carbon steel Weld corrosion Numerical simulation Stress concentration Pipe
This research was supported by the Korea District Heating Corporation (No. 0000000014524).
- 1.A. Wahid, D.L. Olson, D.K. Matlock, C.E. Cross, Corrosion of Weldments, Weldling, Brazing, and Soldering. ASM Handbook, vol. 6 (ASM International, Russell Township, 1993), pp. 1065–1069Google Scholar
- 4.D.A. Jones, Principle and Prevention of Corrosion, 2nd edn. (Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1996), pp. 50–64Google Scholar
- 5.D. McNeill, J. Brock, Heat Pip. Air Cond. 43, 107 (1971)Google Scholar
- 6.Annex A16. RCC-MR, Design and Construction Rules for Mechanical Components of FRB Nuclear Islands, 2nd edn. (AFCEN, Paris, 2002)Google Scholar
- 17.E.E. Stansbury, R.A. Buchanan, Fundamentals of Electrochemical Corrosion (ASM International, Ohio, 2000), pp. 155–173Google Scholar
- 19.I. Ahamad, R. Prasad, M.A. Quraishi, Corros. Sci. 52(1472), 1472 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.H.H. Uhlig, R.W. Revie, Corrosion and Corrosion Control (Wiley, New York, 1985), p. 223Google Scholar
- 26.W.D. Pilkey, D.F. Pilkey, Peterson’s Stress Concentration Factors, 3rd edn. (Wiley, New Jersey, 2008), p. 90Google Scholar