Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Highly Alloyed FeCrMoVC Steel Fabricated by Spark Plasma Sintering
- 244 Downloads
In this study, we successfully fabricated highly alloyed FeCrMoVC specimens within 2 min by using the spark plasma sintering (SPS) method. The densities of the sintered specimens were almost identical to their theoretical values. Fine (Mo, V)-rich carbides with lamellar structure were precipitated along the grain boundaries of the as-sintered specimen, whereas relatively large carbides were formed additionally in the transgranular region during the tempering treatment. Compared with the specimen produced by a conventional casting method, the FeCrMoVC specimens from SPS showed smaller grain size with finer carbides and higher hardness values.
KeywordsTool steel Spark plasma sintering Carbide formation Microstructure Hardness
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education (2016R1D1A1B03935163) and also financially supported by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE) and Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology (KIAT) through the International Cooperation R&D Program.
- 3.O. Bouaziz, H. Zurob, M. Huang, Driving force and logic of development of advanced high strength steels for automotive applications. Steel Res. Int. 84, 937 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.G.J. Park, M.W. Kang, J.G. Jung, Y.K. Lee, B.H. Kim, The effects of homogenization, hot-forging, and annealing condition on microstructure and hardness of a modified STD61 hot-work tool steel. J. Korean Soc. Heat Treat. 26, 79 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.H.T. Kim, J.S. Kim, Y.S. Kwon, M. Tokita, Spark plasma sintering process and its applications. Metals 7, 179 (2000)Google Scholar
- 21.H. Bhadeshia, R. Honeycombe, Steels: Microstructure and Properties, 3rd edn. (Butterworth-Heinemann, London, 2006), pp. 251–261Google Scholar
- 23.N.J. Petch, The cleavage strength of polycrystals. J. Iron Steel Inst. 174, 25 (1953)Google Scholar