Effect of Ti content on creep properties of Ni-base single crystal superalloys
- 118 Downloads
The effect of Ti content on the creep properties and microstructures of experimental Ni-base single crystal superalloys has been investigated. The experimental alloys were designed to provide better high temperature properties than the commercial single crystal alloy CMSX-4. The creep properties of the experimental alloys, Alloy 2 and Alloy 3, were superior to those of CMSX-4. Alloy 3 showed a longer creep life than Alloy 2 at 900 °C and 950 °C, while it has similar creep life with Alloy 2 at 982 °C. Transmission electron microscopy micrographs of the experimental alloys after the creep test showed distinct deformation features as a function of temperature and Ti content. The dissociation of dislocations into partial dislocations with stacking faults in Alloy 3 was found to improve resistance to creep deformation at 950 °C. The effect of Ti on the creep deformation mechanism was not evident at 982 °C, which resulted in similar creep properties in both experimental alloys. The transition of the γ′ cutting mechanism from dislocations coupled with stacking faults to anti-phase boundary coupled pairs occurred both in Alloy 2 and Alloy 3. However, the transition temperature was higher in Alloy 3 than in Alloy 2 because of the difference in Ti contents.
Keywordsalloys Ni-based superalloy casting creep transmission electron microscopy (TEM)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.R. Hashizume, A. Yoshinari, T. Kiyono, Y. Murata, and M. Morinaga, Superalloys 2004 (eds. K. A. Green, T. M. Pollock, H. Harada, T. E. Howson, R. C. Reed, J. J. Schirra, et al.), p. 53, TMS, Warrendale, USA (2000).Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Koizumi, T. Kobayashi, T. Yokogawa, J. Zhang, M. Osawa, M. Arai, et al. Superalloys 2004 (eds. K. A. Green et al.), p. 35, TMS, Warrendale, USA (2000).Google Scholar
- 10.J. H. Zhang, T. Jin, Y. B. Xu, Z. Q. Hu, and X. Wu, J. Mater. Sci. Tech. 18, 159 (2002).Google Scholar
- 13.Y. F. Wen, J. Sun, and J. Huang, T. Nonferr. Metal. Soc. 22, 661 (2012).Google Scholar
- 25.G. Bruno and H. C. Pinto, Superalloys 2004 (eds. K. A. Green, T. M. Pollock, H. Harada, T. E. Howson, R. C. Reed, J. J. Schirra, et al.), p. 837, TMS, Warrendale, USA (2000).Google Scholar