Microstructure characterization and charpy toughness of P91 weldment for as-welded, post-weld heat treatment and normalizing & tempering heat treatment
- 335 Downloads
The effect of weld groove design and heat treatment on microstructure evolution and Charpy toughness of P91 pipe weldments was studied. The P91 pipe weldments were subjected to subcritical post weld heat treatment (760 °C-2 h) and normalizing/tempering conditions (normalized-1040 °C/40 min, air cooled; tempered 760 °C/2 h, air cooled) were employed. The influence of subsequent PWHT and N&T treatment on the microstructure of various zone of P91 pipe weldments were also investigated. The present investigation also described the effect of PWHT and N&T treatment on hardness, grain size, precipitate size, inter-particle spacing and fraction area of precipitates present in each zone of P91 pipe weldments. The result indicated great impact of heat treatment on the Charpy toughness and microstructure evolution of P91 weldments. The N&T treatment was found to be more effective heat treatment compared to subsequent PWHT. Charpy toughness value was found to be higher for narrow-groove design as compared to conventional V-groove design.
Keywordsmicrostructure toughness scanning electron microscopy (SEM) hardness test welding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.B. Silwal, L. Li, A. Deceuster, and B. Griffiths, Weld. J. 91, 80 (2013).Google Scholar
- 16.G. C. Bodine, C. Chakravarti, C. M. Owens, B. W. Roberts, D. M. Vandergriff, and C. T. Ward, ORNL/Sub-4291/1, TRMCD-015, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA (1977).Google Scholar
- 17.M. L. Santella, R. W. Swindeman, R. W. Reed, and J. M. Tanzosh, Martensite Formation in 9 Cr-1 Mo Steel Weld Metal and Its Effect on Creep Behavior, http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.526.9089&rep=rep1&type=pdf (accessed June 23, 2017).Google Scholar
- 18.W. F. Newell, Weld J. 89, 33 (2001).Google Scholar
- 19.M. L. Santella, R. W. Swindeman, R. W. Reed, and J. M. Tanzosh, Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on:Trends in Welding Research, pp.713–718, ASM International. EPRI, USA (2002).Google Scholar
- 23.C. Pandey and M. M. Mahapatra, P. I. Mech. E, DOI: 10.1177/0954408916656678 (2016).Google Scholar
- 26.D. A. Porter and K. E. Esterling, Introduction to the Physical Metallurgy of Welding, 2ed., pp.1–11, Chapmanand Hall, London, UK (1991).Google Scholar
- 28.C. Pandey and M. M. Mahapatra, T. Indian I. Metals 69, 1657 (2016).Google Scholar
- 30.B. Arivazhagan and B. kamraj, A Study on Influence of d- Ferrite Phase on Toughness of P91 Steel Welds, https://www.steel-grips.com/articles/2013/sg13004.pdf (accessed July, 14, 2017).Google Scholar
- 31.Y. Silwal, L. Li, A. Deceuster, and B. Griffiths, Weld. J. 92, 80 (2013).Google Scholar