Synthesis of nano-structured La0.8Ba0.2MnO3 perovskite via a mechano-thermal route
In this study, barium-doped lanthanum manganite, La0.8Ba0.2MnO3, was synthesized via a mechano-thermal route employing high energy ball milling and subsequent heat treatment. The structural evolution, morphology and thermal behaviour of the powders were evaluated using XRD, FESEM, and DTA/TGA, respectively. DTA/TGA results showed that the calcination temperature of the carbonates significantly decreased by increasing the milling time. The results revealed that single phase perovskite was formed at 900 °C in a milled sample for 2 h and this temperature decreased to 600 °C by increasing the milling time to 30 h. The mean crystallite size also decreased from 32 to 20 nm by increasing the milling time from 2 to 30 h. The reaction sequence of La0.8Ba0.2MnO3 formation via the mechano-thermal route is proposed using XRD and DTA/TGA results. FESEM micrographs showed that the mean particle size of the perovskite phase is increased slightly from 30 to 40 nm by increasing the heat treatment temperature from 600 to 900 °C.
Key wordsnanostructured materials mechanical milling microstructure X-ray diffraction thermal analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Baazaoui, S. Zemni, M. Boudard, H. Rahmouni, A. Gasmi, A. Selmi, and M. Oumezzine, Int. J. Nanoelectron. Mater. 3, 26 (2010).Google Scholar
- 5.Ph. Van Cuong and D. Kim, J. Phys.: Con. Ser. 187, 012090 (2009).Google Scholar
- 7.S. A. Solopan, O. I. Vyunov, and A. G. Belous, Ukr. Chem. J. 5, 19 (2010).Google Scholar
- 9.S. S. Chen, C. P. Yang, Z. H. Zhou, D. H. Guo, H. Wang, and G. H. Rao, J. Alloys Compd. 463, 273 (2008).Google Scholar
- 10.B. D. Cullity and S. R. Stock, Elements of X-ray Diffraction, 3rd ed., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey (2001).Google Scholar
- 12.J. M. Porras Vazquez, L. Santos Gomez, I. Santacruz, M. A. G. Aranda, D. Marrero Lopez, and E. R. Losilla, Ceram. Int. 38, 3330 (2012).Google Scholar