Interactive effects of aging parameters of AA6056
- 96 Downloads
The effect of thermomechanical treatment on the aging behavior of AA6056 aluminum alloy was modeled using response surface methodology (RSM). Two models were developed to predict the final yield stress (FYS) and elongation amounts as well as the optimum conditions of aging process. These were done based on the interactive effects of applied thermomechanical parameters. The optimum condition predicted by the model to attain the maximum strength was pre-aging at 80 °C for 15 h, followed by 70% cold work and subsequent final aging at 165 °C for 4 h, which resulted in the FYS of about 480 MPa. As for the elongation, the optimum condition was pre-aging at 80 °C for 15 h, followed by 30% cold work and final-aging at 165 °C for 4 h, which led to 21% elongation. To verify the suggested optimum conditions, the tests were carried out confirming the high accuracy (above 94%) of the RSM technique as well as the developed models. It is shown that the RSM can be used successfully to optimize the aging process, to determine the significance of aging parameters and to model the combination effect of process variables on the aging behavior of AA6056.
Key wordsalloys aging mechanical properties computer simulation response surface methodology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.A. Momeni, K. Dehghani, S. Abbasi, and M. Torkan, MJoM 13, 131 (2007).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Birol, Scripta Mater. 52, 1669 (2005).Google Scholar
- 13.H. Naceur, S. Ben Elechi, and J. L. Batoz, Int. Conf. on Computational Plasticity COMPLAS VIII (Eds. E. Oñate and D. R. J. Owen) CIMNE, Barcelona, Spain (2005).Google Scholar
- 15.N. Shihani, B. K. Kumbhar, and M. Kulshreshtha, J. Eng. Sci. Technol. 1, 31 (2006).Google Scholar
- 16.A. G. Olabi, G. Casalino, K. Y. Benyounis, and A. Rotondo, Mater. Design 28, 2295 (2007).Google Scholar
- 21.S. Esmaeli, X. Wang, D. J. Lloyd, and W. J. Poole, Metall. Mater. Trans. A 34, 751 (2003).Google Scholar
- 23.C. A. W. Olea, L. Roldo, J. F. dos Santos, and T. R. Strohaecker, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 454, 52 (2007).Google Scholar