Practical strategies for generating rank-1 split cuts in mixed-integer linear programming
- 104 Downloads
In this paper we propose practical strategies for generating split cuts, by considering integer linear combinations of the rows of the optimal simplex tableau, and deriving the corresponding Gomory mixed-integer cuts; potentially, we can generate a huge number of cuts. A key idea is to select subsets of variables, and cut deeply in the space of these variables. We show that variables with small reduced cost are good candidates for this purpose, yielding cuts that close a larger integrality gap. An extensive computational evaluation of these cuts points to the following two conclusions. The first is that our rank-1 cuts improve significantly on existing split cut generators (Gomory cuts from single tableau rows, MIR, Reduce-and-Split, Lift-and-Project, Flow and Knapsack cover): on MIPLIB instances, these generators close 24% of the integrality gap on average; adding our cuts yields an additional 5%. The second conclusion is that, when incorporated in a Branch-and-Cut framework, these new cuts can improve computing time on difficult instances.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)90C11 90C57
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ajtai, M.: The shortest vector problem in l 2 is NP-hard for randomized reductions. In: Proceedings of the 30th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing. Dallas, TX (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Bixby R.E., Ceria S., McZeal C.M., Savelsbergh M.W.P.: An updated mixed integer programming library: MIPLIB 3.0. Optima 58, 12–15 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.COIN-OR Branch-and-Cut. https://projects.coin-or.org/Cbc. Accessed Oct 2010
- 13.COIN-OR Cut Generation Library. https://projects.coin-or.org/Cgl. Accessed Oct 2010
- 14.COIN-OR Linear Programming. https://projects.coin-or.org/Clp. Accessed Oct 2010
- 16.Cornuéjols, G., Liberti, L., Nannicini, G.: Improved strategies for branching on general disjunctions. Math. Program. A (2009). Published onlineGoogle Scholar
- 18.Gomory R.E.: An algorithm for the mixed-integer problem. Tech. Rep. RM-2597, RAND Corporation, (1960)Google Scholar
- 22.Papadimitriou C., Steiglitz K.: Combinatorial Optimization: Algorithms and Complexity. Dover, New York (1990)Google Scholar
- 23.Press, W., Teukolsky, S., Vetterling, W., Flannery, B.: Numerical Recipes in C, Second Edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1992, reprinted 1997)Google Scholar