New record of Stellamedusa ventana Raskoff & Matsumoto, 2004 in the Eastern Tropical Pacific
Three specimens of the rare scyphozoan Stellamedusa ventana Raskoff & Matsumoto, 2004 were collected during a vertical plankton tow on April 2013 in a shallow bay on the Eastern Tropical Pacific that was sampled eight times from 2011 to 2013. Previously observed only in Monterey Bay, California and the Sea of Cortéz; this new record for Bahía Salinas, Costa Rica represents a range extension of ~ 2900 km. This and other shallow water sightings in Monterey Bay suggest that this species is not restricted to mesopelagic environments, although shallow observations might be a consequence of local upwelling events.
KeywordsZooplankton biogeography New record Ulmariidae Scyphozoa Gulf of Papagayo
We thank Eleazar Ruíz and Antonio Pérez Pérez for their valuable help during the sampling process, and Catalina Benavides for providing the map showing the collection site. We also thank Alan Shanks, George Matsumoto, Russell Hopcroft and two anonymous reviewers for their comments and corrections to this manuscript. Funding was provided by the Vicerrectoría de Investigación from the University of Costa Rica through the project 808-B1-194: “Zooplankton composition, abundance, biomass and diversity in Bahía Salinas, North Pacific of Costa Rica”.
- Alfaro E, Cortés J (2012) Atmospheric forcing of cool subsurface water events in Bahía Culebra, Gulf of Papagayo, Costa Rica. Int J Trop Biol Conserv 60(2):173–186Google Scholar
- Angel MV (2003) The pelagic environment of the open ocean. In: Tyler PA (ed) Ecosystems of the world 28. Ecosystems of the deep oceans. Elsevier Science B.V, Amsterdam, pp 39–79Google Scholar
- Graham WM, Field JG, Potts DC (1992) Persistent “upwelling shadows” and their influence on zooplankton distributions. Mar Biol 114:561–570Google Scholar
- Jiménez C (2001) Seawater temperature measured at the surface and at two depths (7 and 12 m) in one coral reef at Culebra Bay, Gulf of Papagayo, Costa Rica. Int J Trop Biol Conserv 49(2):153–161Google Scholar
- Kramp PL (1961) Synopsis of the medusae of the world. J Mar Biol Assoc UK 40:1–469Google Scholar
- Mianzan H, Cornelius P (1999) Cubomedusae and Scyphomedusae. In: Boltovskoy D (ed) South Atlantic zooplankton. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands, pp 513–559Google Scholar
- Purcell JE (1997) Pelagic cnidarians and ctenophores as predators: selective predation, feeding rates, and effects on prey populations. Ann Inst Oceanogr Paris 73(2):125–137Google Scholar
- Zeman SM, Brodeur RD, Daly EA, Sutherland KR (2016) Prey selection patterns of Chrysaora fuscescens in the northern California Current. J Plankton Res :1–11. doi: 10.1093/plankt/fbw065