A new deep-sea genus and species of the family Ecbathyriontidae (Copepoda: Siphonostomatoida) from the Gorda Ridge (North Pacific Ocean)
- 115 Downloads
Adult females of Bathygordion cliffus new gen. and new sp. belonging to the family Ecbathyriontidae Humes, 1987 are described from the Gorda Ridge of the North Pacific Ocean. The copepods were found at depth of 2701 m on the margin of a hydrothermal vent field (Sea Cliff, GR-14) among invertebrates colonizing wood blocks deployed for 2 years. The new genus differs from the only monotypic genus Ecbathyrion Humes, 1987 reported from hydrothermal vents of the Galapagos Rift and the East Pacific Rise in a number of morphological features (such as three articulating abdominal somites, mandible with 1 palp bearing setae, base of leg 1 with inner seta, distal exopodal segment of leg 4 with four inner setae, leg 5 2-segmented), suggesting long evolutionary history of the deep-sea family endemic to hydrothermal vents of the East Pacific. The derived feature of the new genus is the presence of one terminal spine on the distal endopodal segment of leg 3 (instead of bearing two terminal setae in Ecbathyrion). The diagnosis of the family Ecbathyriontidae is emended.
KeywordsEcbathyriontidae Siphonostomatoida Copepoda North Pacific Ocean Gorda Ridge Deep-sea Hydrothermal vent Taxonomy
We are grateful to Janet Voight who conducted field work with support of NSF (grant DEB-0103690). Microscopic work was conducted with support of Deutsches Zentrum für Marine Biodiversitätsforschung of Senckenberg Research Institute (Wilhelmshaven, Germany). Illustrative and descriptive work was conducted with support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (#14-50-00029); data analysis and paper preparation was conducted with support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (#15-54-78061). The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
- Cuvelier D, Beesau J, Ivanenko VN, Zeppilli D, Sarradin P-M, Sarrazin J (2014) First insights into macro-and meiofaunal colonisation patterns on paired wood/slate substrata at Atlantic deep-sea hydrothermal vents. Deep-Sea Res I Oceanogr Res Pap 87:70–81. doi: 10.1016/j.dsr.2014.02.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Humes AG (1987) Copepoda from deep-sea hydrothermal vents. Bull Mar Sci 41:645–788Google Scholar
- Humes AG, Segonzac M (1998) Copepoda from deep-sea hydrothermal sites and cold seeps: description of a new species of Aphotopontius from the East Pacific Rise and general distribution. Cah Biol Mar 39:51–62Google Scholar
- Ivanenko VN, Defaye D (2004a) A new and primitive genus and species of deep-sea Tegastidae (Crustacea, Copepoda, Harpacticoida) from the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 37°N (Azores triple junction, Lucky Strike). Cah Biol Mar 45(3):255–268Google Scholar
- Ivanenko VN, Defaye D (2004b) A new genus and species of deep-sea cyclopoids (Copepoda, Cyclopinidae) from the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (Azores Triple Junction, Lucky Strike). Zoosystema 26(1):49–64Google Scholar
- Ivanenko VN, Defaye D (2006) Copepoda. In: Desbruyères D et al (eds) Handbook of deep-Sea hydrothermal vent fauna. Second completely revised edition. Biologiezentrum der Oberösterreichischen Landesmuseen, Linz, pp 318–355 [Denisia, no. 18.]Google Scholar
- Ivanenko VN, Defaye D, Segonzac M, Khripounoff A, Sarrazin J, Ferrari FD (2011a) A new species of Exrima, synonymy of four species of Aphotopontius, Stygiopontius and Rhogobius, and record of first copepodid stage of Dirivultidae (Copepoda: Siphonostomatoida) from deep-sea hydrothermal vents of the East Pacific Rise (13°N). J Mar Biol Assoc U K 91:1547–1559. doi: 10.1017/s0025315411000178 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ivanenko VN, Ferrari FD, Defaye D, Sarradin P-M, Sarrazin J (2011b) Description, distribution and microhabitats of a new species of Tisbe (Copepoda: Harpacticoida: Tisbidae) from a deep-sea hydrothermal vent field at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (37°N, Lucky Strike). Cah Biol Mar 52:89–106Google Scholar
- Ivanenko VN, Corgosinho PHC, Ferrari FD, Sarradin P-M, Sarrazin J (2012) Microhabitat distribution of Smacigastes micheli (Copepoda: Harpacticoida: Tegastidae) from deep-sea hydrothermal vents at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 37°N (Lucky Strike), with a morphological description of the nauplius. Mar Ecol 33(2):246–256. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0485.2011.00484.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar