Isolation and characterization of 29 microsatellite markers for the bumphead parrotfish, Bolbometopon muricatum, and cross amplification in 12 related species
- 206 Downloads
We isolated and characterized 29 microsatellite loci for the bumphead parrotfish, Bolbometopon muricatum, a wide-ranging parrotfish listed as vulnerable by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). The 29 loci were tested on 95 individuals sampled from the Solomon Islands. The number of alleles ranged from two to ten. Evidence of linkage disequilibrium was found for only one pair of loci (Bm54 and Bm112). Two loci (Bm20 and Bm119) showed significant departure from Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium. We also tested each locus for amplification and polymorphism on 11 other scarine labrid species and one labrid species. Amplification success ranged from zero to ten loci per species. These microsatellite loci are the first specific set for B. muricatum and will be a useful tool for assessing genetic population structure, genetic diversity, and parentage in future studies.
KeywordsBumphead parrotfish Scarine Labridae Microsatellites Population genetics
The authors wish to thank the Biosciences Core Lab of the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for technical assistance, Hugo Harrison for the repurposing of Fig. 1, and three anonymous reviewers for helpful comments. Funding was provided in part by KAUST through baseline research funding and through award number CRG-1-BER-002 to MLB.
- Chan T, Sadovy Y, Donaldson TJ (2012) Bolbometopon muricatum. In IUCN 2013. IUCN red list of threatened species. Version 2013.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 03 January 2014
- Hamilton RJ, Choat JH (2012a) Bumphead Parrotfish—Bolbometopon muricatum. In: Sadovy de Mitcheson Y, Colin PL (eds) Reef fish spawning aggregations: biology, fisheries and management. Springer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Hamilton RJ, Choat JH (2012b) Establishing the sustainability of the bumphead parrotfish (Bolbometopon muricatum) spear fishery in Isabel Province, Solomon Islands. Sci Conserv Fish Aggregations Newsl 16:10Google Scholar
- Hamilton RJ, Almany G, Stevens D, Pita J (2013) Establishing the population size of adult bumphead parrotfish (Bolbometopon muricatum) in Isabel Province, Solomon Islands. Sci Conserv Fish Aggregations Newsl 17:13Google Scholar
- Peakall R, Smouse PE (2012) GenAlEx 6.5: genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research-an update. Biodivers Inform 28(19):2537–2539Google Scholar
- Raymond M, Rousset F (1995) GENPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J Hered 86(3):248–249Google Scholar
- Russell B (Grouper & Wrasse Specialist Group) (2004) Cheilinus undulatus. In IUCN 2013. IUCN red list of threatened species. Version 2013.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 11 March 2014