Effect of canal on land use/land cover using remote sensing and GIS
The monitoring of land use/land covers (LULCs) is an indispensable exercise for all those involved in executing policies to optimize the use of natural resources and minimize the ill impacts on the environment. The study here aims at analyzing the changes that occurred in LULC over a time span from 1990 to 2005 using multi date data of a part of Punjab. The digital data consisted of two sets of Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM) data and one set of IRS-1C data. Utilizing hybrid classification technique for interpretation and on field validation, it has been found that canal irrigation leads to changes in LULC as there is a change in cropping pattern as well as increase in water logged area.
KeywordsPrincipal component analysis (PCA) Land use land covers (LULC) Geographic positioning system (GPS) Change detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bishop Y, Fienberg S and Holland P (1975) Discrete Multivariate Analysis—Theory and Practices Cambridge, Massachusetts: MITR PressGoogle Scholar
- Chen X, Yan JF, Chen Z, Luo GP and Xu WQ (2008) A geospatial analysis approach for assessing the impact of landuse on groundwater resources in the SanGong Oasis region. Journ. Agri. Food Env. Sc. 2(1): 1–10Google Scholar
- Eastman J R and Fulk M (1993) Long sequence time series evaluation using standardized principle components. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 59: 991–996Google Scholar
- Fung T and Ledrew E (1987) Application of principal components analysis change detection. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 53: 1649–1658Google Scholar
- Fung T and Zhang Q (1989) Land use change detection and identification with Landsat digital data in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, In Remote Sensing and Methodologies of Land Use Change Analysis, eds CR Bryant, EF LeDrew, CGoogle Scholar
- Green K, Kempka D and Lackey L (1994) Using remote sensing to detect and monitoring land-cover and landuse change. Photogram. Eng. Rem. Sens. 60: 331–337Google Scholar
- Jaisawal RK, Saxena R and Mukherjee S (2001) Land use/Land cover mapping using IRS 1C LISS III false colour composite (a case study of a part of Shahdol district, Madhya Pradesh. Journ. Tropical Forestry 17(1): 33–40Google Scholar
- Jensen J R (1996) Digital Image Processing: a Remote Sensing Perspective Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice HallGoogle Scholar
- Lillesand TM and Kiefer RW (1979) Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation, New York: WileyGoogle Scholar
- Meyer WB (1995) Past and Present Land-use and Land-cover in the U.S.A. Consequences Google Scholar
- Pilon PG, Howarth PJ and Bullock RAQ (1988) An enhanced classification approach to change detection in semi-arid environments. Photogram. Eng. Rem. Sens. 54: 1709–1716Google Scholar