Effect of loading rates and stress paths on rock strengths: a novel approach based on experimental evidence
- 41 Downloads
Tests of rock strength under different loading rates and stress paths often lead to ambiguous results, as both factors are inter-playing each other. As a result, there is surprisingly little research into the study of unifying both factors when comparing the rock strengths from various triaxial compression tests. In this technical note, we propose a simple but rigorous mathematics expression to assess and compare the rock strengths under different loading rates and stress paths. To make the proposed method as accessible as possible to a broad application, we have derived the explicit forms of solutions for three popular rock failure criteria. We then examine and validate the proposed method using the results of triaxial tests on marbles and sandstones, based on the important Mohr-Coulomb criterion.
KeywordsLoading rate Rock strength Stress path Triaxial compression tests
This work was supported by the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (grant no. 2015XKZD06).
- Chen WZ, Liu D, Yang J, Tan X, Wang C (2008) Power function based Mohr strength criterion for marble with unloading confining pressures. Chin J Rock Mech Eng 27:2214–2220Google Scholar
- Hudson JA, Harrison JP (1997) Engineering rock mechanics [M]. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-043864-1.X5000-9
- Huang D, Tan Q, Huang R (2012) Study of micro-mesoscopic characteristics of marble fracture surface and correlation with unloading rock mass strength under high stress and unloading. Rock Soil Mech 33:8–15Google Scholar
- Liu J, Li JP (2011) Experimental research on sandstone pre-peak unloading process under high confining pressure. Chin J Rock Mech Eng 30:473–479Google Scholar
- Qiu S, Feng X, Zhang C, Yang J (2012) Experimental research on mechanical properties of deep marble under different initial damage levels and unloading paths. Chin J Rock Mech Eng 31:1686–1697Google Scholar
- Qiu S, Feng X, Zhang C, Zhou H, Sun F (2010) Experimental research on mechanical properties of deep-buried marble under different unloading rates of confining pressures. Chin J Rock Mech Eng 29:1807–1817Google Scholar
- You M (2002) Strength and deformation of rock under complex loading path. Chin J Rock Mech Eng 21:23–28Google Scholar
- Zhang K, Zhou H, Pan P, Shen L, Feng X, Zhang Y (2010) Characteristics of strength of rocks under different unloading rates. Rock Soil Mech 31:2072–2078Google Scholar