SH-wave propagation in linearly varying fiber-reinforced viscoelastic composite structure uninitial stress
- 16 Downloads
The paper studies the behavior of horizontally polarized shear wave (SH-wave) in an initially stressed fiber-reinforced viscoelastic composite structure, where the elastic parameters vary linearly along the depth of the crustal layer. The displacements in each media have been calculated analytically and closed form dispersion equation has been derived with the help of intrinsic boundary conditions. The dispersion equation thus obtained is a complex valued function, whose real part contains the phase velocity and the imaginary part contains the damped velocity. To demonstrate the effect of various parameters, numerical simulations have been conducted and graphs have been plotted for the phase velocity and the damped velocity against the wave number. Furthermore, a comparative study has been undertaken by means of graphical illustrations to explain its remarkable effects.
KeywordsSH-wave Fiber-reinforcement Initial stress Half-space Phase velocity Damped velocity Dispersion equation Viscoelastic medium
This study is financially supported by the SERB, DST, New Delhi under Early Career Research Award with Ref. No. ECR/2017/001185.
- Achenbach JD, Damoder PR (1967) Note on wave propagation in linearly viscoelastic media. J Appl Math Phys 18(1):141–144Google Scholar
- Alekseev AS, Mikhailenko BG (1980) Solution of dynamic problems of elastic wave propagation in inhomogeneous media by a combination of partial separation of variables and finite difference methods. Geophys J Int 48:161–172Google Scholar
- Baroi J, Sahu SA, Singh MK (2018) Dispersion of polarized shear waves in viscous liquid over a porous piezoelectric substrate. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X18758190
- Borcherdt RD (1977) Reflection and refraction of type II S-waves in elastic and anelastic media. Bull Seismol Soc Am 67(1):43–67Google Scholar
- Chaudharya S, Kaushika VP, Tomarb SK (2005) Transmission of shear waves through a self-reinforced layer sandwiched between two inhomogeneous viscoelastic half space. Int J Mech Sci 47:14551472Google Scholar
- Love AEH (1944) A treatise on mathematical theory of elasticity. Dover Publication, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Sahu SA, Saroj PK, Paswan B (2014) Shear waves in a heterogeneous fiber-reinforced layer over a half-space under gravity. International Journal of Geomechanics. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0000404
- Singh B (2005) Wave propagation in thermally conducting linear fibre-reinforced composite materials. Arch Appl Mech 75(8):513–520Google Scholar