Template-based re-optimization of rolling stock rotations
- 99 Downloads
Rolling stock, i.e., the set of railway vehicles, is among the most expensive and limited assets of a railway company and must be used efficiently. We consider in this paper the re-optimization problem to recover from unforeseen disruptions. We propose a template concept that allows to recover cost minimal rolling stock rotations from reference rotations under a large variety of operational requirements. To this end, connection templates as well as rotation templates are introduced and their application within a rolling stock rotation planning model is discussed. We present an implementation within the rolling stock rotation optimization framework rotor and computational results for scenarios provided by DB Fernverkehr AG, one of the leading railway operators in Europe.
KeywordsRolling stock rotation problem Re-optimization Hypergraph-based integer programming Rotation patterns
This work has been developed within the http://www.forschungscampus-modal.de/Research Campus MODAL (Mathematical Optimization and Data Analysis Laboratories) funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
- Borndörfer R, Reuther M, Schlechte T, Weider S (2012a) Integrated optimization of rolling stock rotations for intercity railways. Tech. Rep. 12–39, ZIB, Takustr. 7, 14195 Berlin, published Online: September 18, 2015 in Transportation ScienceGoogle Scholar
- Borndörfer R, Reuther M, Schlechte T, Weider S (2012b) Vehicle rotation planning for intercity railways. In: Muñoz J, Voß S (eds) Proceedings of Conference on Advanced Systems for Public Transport 2012 (CASPT12)Google Scholar
- Borndörfer R, Reuther M, Schlechte T (2014b) A coarse-to-fine approach to the railway rolling stock rotation problem. In: 14th Workshop on Algorithmic Approaches for Transportation Modelling, Optimization, and Systems, ATMOS 2014, September 11, 2014, Wroclaw, Poland, pp 79–91. doi: 10.4230/OASIcs.ATMOS.2014.79
- Haahr JT, Lusby RM, Larsen J, Pisinger D (2014) A branch-and-price framework for railway rolling stock rescheduling during disruptions. Tech. rep, DTU Management EngineeringGoogle Scholar
- Nielsen LK (2011) Rolling stock rescheduling in passenger railways: Applications in short-term planning and in disruption management. PhD thesis, E. URL:http://hdl.handle.net/1765/22444
- Secomandi N, Margot F (2009) Reoptimization approaches for the vehicle-routing problem with stochastic demands. Operations Research 57(1):214–230. doi: 10.1287/opre.1080.0520
- Wagenaar J, Kroon L, Schmidt M (2016) Maintenance appointments in railway rolling stock rescheduling. Tech. Rep. ERS-2016-001-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management. URL:http://hdl.handle.net/1765/79441