A NAC Transcription Factor ZmNAC84 affects Pollen Development Through the Repression of ZmRbohH Expression in Maize
- 32 Downloads
The NAC proteins are plant-specific transcription factors and widely distributed in plants. The wide functions of NAC transcription factors were studied, but the roles of NAC in pollen development are largely unclear. Here, we found that ZmNAC84 played a vital role in maize pollen development. ZmRbohH showed high expression in pollen. ZmNAC84 inhibited the ZmRbohH expression by directly binding to its promoter in pollen. Moreover, phosphorylation of ZmNAC84 at Ser113 played an important role in this process. These results suggest that ZmNAC84 plays a negative role in pollen development possibly via repressing the ZmRbohH expression.
KeywordsPollen development Zea mays ZmNAC84 ZmRbohH
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balazadeh S, Kwasniewski M, Caldana C, Mehrnia M, Zanor M, Xue GP (2011) Mueller-Roeber, B. ORS1, an H2O2-responsive NAC transcription factor, controls senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana. Mol Plant 4:346–360Google Scholar
- Huang LP, Jia J, Zhao XX, Zhang MY, Huang XX, Ji E, Ni L, Jiang MY (2018a) The ascorbate peroxidase APX1 is a direct target of a zinc finger transcription factor ZFP36 and a late embryogenesis abundant protein OsLEA5 interacts with ZFP36 to co-regulate OsAPX1 in seed germination in rice. Biochem Bioph Res Co 495:339–345CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kaya H, Nakajima R, Iwano M, Kanaoka MM, Kimura S, Takeda S, Kawarazaki T, Senzaki E, Hamamura Y, Higashiyama T, Takayama S, Abe M, Kuchitsu K (2014) Ca2+-activated reactive oxygen species production by Arabidopsis RbohH and RbohJ is essential for proper pollen tube tip growth. Plant Cell 26:1069–1080CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li WT, Zhu ZW, Chern M, Yin JJ, Yang C, Ran L, Cheng MP, He M, Wang K, Wang J, Zhou XG, Zhu XB, Chen ZX, Wang JC, Zhao W, Ma BT, Qin P, Chen WL, Wang YP, Liu JL, Wang WM, Wu XJ, Li P, Wang JR, Zhu LH, Li SG, Chen XW (2017) A natural allele of a transcription factor in rice confers broad-spectrum blast resistance. Cell 170:114–126CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tran LSP, Nakashima K, Sakuma Y, Simpson SD, Fujita Y, Maruyama K, Fujita M, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2004) Isolation and functional analysis of Arabidopsis stress-inducible NAC transcription factors that bind to a droughtresponsive cis-element in the early responsive to dehydration stress 1 promoter. Plant Cell 16:2481–2498CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang Z, Li J, Chen SX, Heng YF, Chen Z, Yang J (2017) Zhou, K.J.; Pei, J.W.; He, H.; Deng, X.W.; Ma, L.G. Poaceae-specific &ITMS1&IT encodes a phospholipid-binding protein for male fertility in bread wheat. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114:12614–12619Google Scholar
- Zhu Y, Yan JW, Liu WJ, Liu L, Sheng Y, Sun Y, Li YY, Scheller HV, Jiang MY, Hou XL, Ni L, Zhan AY (2016) Phosphorylation of a NAC transcription factor by a Calcium/Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase regulates abscisic acid-induced antioxidant defense in Maize. Plant Physiol 171:1651–1664CrossRefGoogle Scholar